Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Is there a built-in way of creating a project template just the way you want it?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by TwiiK, Sep 22, 2021.

1. TwiiK

TwiiK

To be blunt, a fresh Unity project comes with a lot of stupid defaults. Like .NET 2.0 API, Gamma color space, old input manager etc., but there are also a ton of things I add or change in all my projects like custom packages, quality level settings, company name, tags & layers etc. etc.

I just realized that I'm tired of doing all this boilerplate crap with every new project I create and I started looking for ways to fix this, but so far I've not really found any built-in solutions.

The best way I've found so far is just to create a project the way I want it and just try to remember to always duplicate that project when I want to create a new project rather than create a new one. This isn't a horrible approach and it works across every single thing I would want to change inside the Editor automatically, but if I was able to expose this project as one of the templates in the new project dialog in the Unity Hub that would be pretty sexy, or even better still make it the default template.

Or are there other/better approaches to this that I'm not seeing?

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

First, love the #SRPLife avatar... glorious hot magenta, my second favorite color next to full screen blackness.

Second, yeah, it would be nice to have all that stuff wiggly configurable, but I don't think they support it.

What I'd like to see is an ability to clone a project and for whatever it means to me (which varies over time and with project), "Take every setting that was done in this project here and make a new project called UncleKurtsGame25514..."

Alas.