Search Unity

Question Is there a better way to make a detailed convex or non kinematic rigidbody compatible collider

Discussion in 'Windows' started by stakensj, Mar 18, 2023.

1. stakensj

stakensj

So I have this mesh that I want to turn into a collider, however, the convex mesh is too far from what I need, so is there a better way than splitting the mesh into 10 separate objects and using them as a single collider?

The perfect non-convex mesh collider:

the same mesh but convex:

The better collider made out of the mesh seperated into 10 parts, it works but its very time consuming:

so is there any better way?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
  2. halley

halley

I found a convex hull library online, and made a small script that lets me make better car colliders. First, I mark out regions of a model with simple colliders. Then I find all the mesh vertices inside those regions. Then I find the convex hull of those vertices, and make a closed mesh from those. Then I provide those closed convex meshes to Unity and discard the region colliders.

There's a store asset called Timpie or something similar, which does a lot of the same work. They have a pretty friendly "paint the polygons" UI to define those regions, but beyond that it's the same concept. Decide what portions of a model are mostly convex as it is, make a convex hull mesh of just those vertices, and repeat until you have covered the whole model (or the parts you can't allow to clip through).

3. stakensj

stakensj

that certainly would be a way to go, but I'm wondering if there is a way to make the process faster, since what I was doing there was also painting the polygons, only with the goal to separate them. And If I spend the same amount of time for every hull, its gonna take me multiple days