Search Unity

Feedback Is there _really_ no way to take string input in the editor from a user via popup dialogue??

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by awesomedata, May 12, 2023.

1. awesomedata

awesomedata

Is there _really_ no way to take string input in the editor from a user via a simple popup dialogue? Only booleans? Seriously??

Last edited: May 12, 2023
  2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

I usually just make a
    public string foo;
    field in a custom editor and fill it out.

3. awesomedata

awesomedata

Yeah, but this is just our complacency as an end-user to not "waste" any time fighting or going against the flow, and is a BIG part of the reason Unity is being allowed to continue like this.

Honestly, if Unity doesn't care about quality of life features like this, then boycotting the company is the only way to fight back.

This isn't a feature request.

This is a cry for Unity to open their f*cking eyes before their longtime users leave them in droves.

Spoiler alert -- This is already happening.

In my case, I'm pointing out this fact: There _is_ value in having the ability to have a simple method you can call for a simple string input, just like the ShowPopup method.
    In my use-case, I've got a button that you can right-click that opens a menu that (should) let you prompt for a specifc string (i.e. in order to rename the label of a button or field and handle certain backend data using that new string data). It is a simple problem, but I have to create like FIVE other scripts to do this one function. Which is NUTS.

I think it is unprofessional as f*ck to always _have_ to have, at minimum, a custom editor and a text field for literally everything in an Editor Extension that requires a simple string input.

This is a brain-dead API decision -- at best.

4. spiney199

spiney199

Or most Unity users will have just implemented the feature themselves in about 10 minutes and moved on.

It should just be one editor window script with a few easy to use API methods.

This is a very tiny thing to get up in arms about.

5. awesomedata

awesomedata

You're clearly a new user of Unity.

Don't worry, my friend. You'll get tired of spending 10 minutes to reinvent the wheel over and over and over and over and over again, looking up documentation that doesn't exist or isn't easy to discern, and trying to find solutions on the internet that simply don't exist _because_ of seemingly "simple" features like this being missing or in preview or simply not being available, just like this one is, and you not having a clue that the one simple thing you're trying to do is impossible without yet _another_ engineering task that should NOT be necessary with a good API, and is, yet again, distracting you from your real job and taking even _more_ valuable time away from making your game or tool.

If you're not new, then you must be young. Or perhaps you just have all the time in the world.
    Either way -- enjoy it while it lasts.

Ignorance is bliss. Might as well enjoy the ride.

Last edited: May 15, 2023