Search Unity

Is the XRRig meant to replace OVRCameraRig and SteamVRCameraRig?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by JamesClow, Feb 9, 2020.

1. JamesClow

JamesClow

"A New Architecture: Unity XR Platform"

Something that isn't explained, and is clearly outside of the scope of such a video is where the OVRCameraRig and SteamVRCameraRigs fit in, both now and in the future. Is the intention that the XR Rig is to be the replacement for both?

2. alexchesser

alexchesser

Yeah - it's my understanding that the XRRig is intended to be a unity-native system replaces those other options - which allows you to have less platform specific code. I actually think that one of the facebook talks I saw specifically mentions that they use an invisible tracked-pose-driver under the hood in their control systems.

If it helps, just this morning I tested out adding a tracked-pose-driver an empty game object for the main camera and it worked as expected with no troubles. I assume the hand controls work as expected too ... but I ran into other issues and haven't fully tested that.

3. JamesClow

JamesClow

Thanks Alex, I'm glad I didn't get the wrong end of the stick with my assumption. It tells me that at least I'm on the right track by using the XR Rig for my VR FPS rather than the OVRcameraRig or SteamVR rig. The lack of smooth locomotion in the XR Interaction Toolkit was starting to make me think I'd maybe misunderstood the purpose of the XR Rig. :)

4. MarkSharpe

MarkSharpe

Is it possible to use the OVR hand models and animations with the XRrig Camera and XR input system?

lmcarreiro and tandyshane like this.
  5. lmcarreiro

lmcarreiro

I'm new to unity, I just waste some good hours trying to make the hand prefab+animations from Oculus Integration package to work on XR Rig, didn't work. The hands are there, but static, no animation.

Does somebody know how to do that?

6. benzw17

benzw17

Hi, I suggest you follow this tutorial:
    It works perfectly.

Dark-Table and MarkSharpe like this.