Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved is the video encoding happening on CPU?

Discussion in 'Unity Render Streaming' started by tree_arb, Mar 3, 2023.

1. tree_arb

tree_arb

I'm very much enjoying the webrtc / render streaming package its quite amazing.

It seems the video encoding/streaming bottleneck happening on the CPU and is there any control over this?

Example:
    I start a game in an AWS virtual machine.

When I connect a remote user to it and start streaming video from the AWS game, I see the CPU usages of the AWS VM running the app increases notably, and not the GPU usage.

The mouse/keyboard communication from the remote browser to the main app is quite fast...however the process of rendering that video back to the browser has a slight lag (its ok and of course understand that this part is far more heavy so expected).

Does my observation make sense? video encoding and sending seems to jump the CPU usage and any tips on tweaking this other than increasing the CPU power? maybe specific video codecs etc.?

It works well, I'm not reporting as a problem just trying to understand resources and minimize lag. I originally incorrectly thought the GPU would take the video encoding hit but seems no

thanks

2. tree_arb

tree_arb

update:
    ok i found the settings in the multiplayer sample. I set to a GPU codec and stuff is running way better. excellent!