Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Is the v2019 Editor clamping the frame rate to 60 fps in Game mode?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Bryan3D, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Bryan3D

Bryan3D

I haven't seen an answer in "Answers" so I thought I'd try here about an Editor graphics performance issue I've noticed:

I haven't notice this with the v2018 Unity Editor, but it seems to me that the v2019 Editor is clamping my frame rate to 60 fps in Game mode. But when I build the project for standalone Mac/PC, my own UI frame rate display tool shows 250 fps (and higher) when running at 1920 x 1080. I know that the Editor in Game mode does not generate frame rates as high as the standalone builds, but I've never seen this 60 fps limit before. It reminds me of the WebGL frame rate limit. Is there some setting I should be changing in the v2019 Editor to prevent this?

2. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Try turning vsync off

3. Bryan3D

Bryan3D

Do you mean the "VSync Count" setting the Project/Quality panel? If so, it's still set to Don't Synch by default. If not, where is the VSync setting you're describing? I've attached a screenshot of my Project/Quality panel settings, just for fun! Unity Project Quality Settings.jpg

4. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

12652879-C750-4B66-83DE-4EF9A58B5679.png Its in the game view in the editor

reptiled likes this.
  5. lejean

lejean

People keep suggesting to turn off vsync but it's pretty clear there are alot more reasons for unity to throttle your FPS to 60 aside from turning of VSYNC.
    It's all pretty obscure tho.

Game mode, windows itself, Nvidia/amd software, other connected monitors can all cause issues.

Check this forum thread for Gfx.WaitForPresent

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    Genebris likes this.
  6. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

The question was about the cap at 60fps not about framerate trottle.

If your monitor refreshes at 60hz and you have vsync on the frame rate will be capped at 60fps.

If you would have a monitor refresh at 120 hz you could leave vsync on and still have 120 fps.

I personally like to keep vsync on because I don't like screen tearing.

What is important for smooth gameplay is that the frame rate is steady and does not trottle. that is another point and also valid. @lejean

7. Bryan3D

Bryan3D

Thanks for the solution Lars. I like to keep an eye on the frame rate to see if anything I do suddenly overloads the rendering engine. I do want to maximize the "calculated" frame rate because I want to be able to play "short" music notes, sequentially, at really fast tempos to be able to simulate guitar strumming at tempos as fast as 360.