Search Unity

Is the "Scene Fragments" feature teased during GDC 2018 still in development?

Discussion in 'Editor Workflows' started by Xarbrough, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

I've rewatched the Unity 2018 Roadmap talk and here they show a prototype feature called "Scene Fragments". It's described as a feature to split up a scene into multiple assets which are more version control friendly. I assume that GameObjects in one fragment can still have references to GameObjects in other scene fragments. If this would work it would revolutionize my team's workflow. We've been struggling with scenes and multi-scene workflows and this scene fragments idea sounds really great. :)

This feature sounds almost too perfect and would solve so many issues larger teams currently face when dealing with either trying to collaborate on big scenes or having to maintain cross-scene-references when using many smaller scenes.

Is Scene Fragments still in development? How does it look? And is this in any way related to potential folder/grouping objects in the hierarchy?

ModLunar and M_R like this.
  2. Prodigga

Prodigga

3. Baste

Baste

I think they're probably talking about subscenes? I'm not sure.

4. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

To me it looks like scene fragments was dropped due to DOTS, but I don’t think that entities and co solve what scene fragments teasered. In the video they were speaking about splitting scenes with regular Gameobjects into multiple assets to make version control easier. This would kind of change the entire multi-scene workflow that existed in previous Unity versions because it sounded like cross-scene-fragment references would be possible in this setup. That would have been really great, but since we haven’t heard anything new, Unity is probably focusing on improving the DOTS scenes workflow.