Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

2D Is the penalty for moving a collider without rigidbody much higher on 5.3?

Discussion in '5.3 Beta' started by Manny Calavera, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera

So I have a large scene with a few moving objects that contain a CircleCollider2D (Is Trigger == true) and no rigidbody*.

Now when my character walks over these moving objects it takes up to several seconds for OnTriggerEnter2D() to be called.

Did anyone notice such delay? I was under the impression that the penalty for moving static colliders was going to decrease in Unity 5, no?

* Yes, yes, I know we're not supposed to be moving colliders without rigidbodies. This is just one of my test cases in my test scene.

2. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Reducing the penalty for static colliders in Unity 5 was talking about PhysX (3D physics) and not Box2D (2D physics). You should use a Rigidbody2D set to be kinematic. Any particular reason why you are avoiding doing that?

Nevertheless, you seem to be talking about a delay in time for a callback to occur which is nothing to do with the above in either case. More detail is needed though such as what is the set-up for the 'character', what version of Unity etc.