Search Unity

Is the new Cheetah3D 3.5 .jas format supported?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by hsparra, Oct 26, 2006.

1. hsparra

hsparra

With the 3.5 version of Cheetah3D the .jas file format has changed slightly. Does Unity fully support the new format or should we stick with the prior version?

2. ScatterBrain

ScatterBrain

I came on here looking if anyone else was having a problem,
    but it appears my animations have all gone down the tubes when I moved to 3.5

I would stick with 3.4.

I think i may be doomed, as the release notes state:
    3.4 can't read 3.5 animations.
    Hopefully I'm doing something silly. But they worked before.

:cry:
    G

3. hsparra

hsparra

Sorry to hear that. Do you still have 3.4 or did you install over? If you still have 3.4 you can run them side by side.

4. ScatterBrain

ScatterBrain

Luckily I had 3.4 in my trash, so I could save my older animations.

I take it you didn't have a problem?
    After reimporting my 3.4 animation from unity, the animation was missing.
    I went out and saved off a copy in Cheetah 3.5, but Unity still wouldn't have any of it.

I'll give it another go. Perhaps without the andrenaline from potentially lost work, I'll have a clearer head.

G

5. ScatterBrain

ScatterBrain

I think to anyone watching my thrashings about, I'm am 99% certain that
    Unity will lose the animation in the inspector. (My setup of GameObject dropped in from a prefab of a JAS file)

So if your animation appears to have failed, check to make sure that it still points at the animation in the Project view.

G

6. hsparra

hsparra

Glad to hear that you still had 3.4 :) I didn't have the problem since I have not yet downloaded 3.5. I was hoping one of the Otee guys would chime in.

7. Martin

Martin

Hi,
    sorry for the problems. There were indeed quite serious changes under the hood in v3.5 but the animation data should be still there. Just under another take.

Cheetah3D 3.5 already works internally with takes (later you will be able to define a walk, run, jump, etc cycle in Cheetah3D). To support various takes in the FBX files Cheetah3D no longer saves the whole animation data into the "Default" take of the FBX file but every take separately.

The animation data of Cheetah3D 3.5 FBX files can now be found in "Take 0" of the FBX file.

Maybe Joachim knows how to access that take data in Unity since I'm not very familiar with Unity scripting.

Bye,
    Martin

8. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

The take should be attached to the animation component no matter what it's name. It would probably be useful if you post the .jas file you are trying to import.

9. ScatterBrain

ScatterBrain

Joachim,
    I think it's all set. Its just a file structure issue from "Default" to "Take 0".
    Anyone moving from 3.4 to 3.5 (having a prefab might also be a requirement) will find that their animations are no longer referenced by the GameObject and will have to be reassigned (Object Inspector).

This is the only thing I found to be a problem. I apologize for jumping the gun above, two issues hit me at the same time, both related to animation and one of them was my own stupid fault.

If you would like, although I'm sure you could grab it yourself, I could attach a 3.4 object and a 3.5 object to see the differences.

Thanks All
    G