Search Unity

Is the local bone rotation important if the anims play correctly?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by msgamedev, Oct 17, 2017.

1. msgamedev

msgamedev

I have exported an animated non-humanoid character from Blender to Unity with FBX 6.1

In Blender I recalculated the bone roll with global +Z axis

In Unity the animations play correctly in the preview window, also the whole character is aligned correctly (pointing in the direction of the red arrow in preview window).

When an animator controller is assigned the anims play correctly in the editor window and in play mode.

However: the local bone rotation of each bone is all over the place and doesn't match unitys Y up/Z forward. I tried nearly every possible combination of bone recalculation in blender but nothing helps.

So my question is: does the local bone rotation matter at all if the anims play correctly?

I'm thinking e.g. of a headlook controller, aiming with arms in the direction of the crosshair or some other fancy coding stuff (<- not a programer by the way, therefore I'm curious about that).

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

You will most likely end up needing to research and implement IK to control the position and location of the wrists and elbows. To your question - I don't think it matters as long as the animation looks correct - especially with non-humanoid rigs. (I'm not a blender artist btw)
    Edit note: IK only works with humanoid rigs so you'll need to develop a custom solution or use one of the robust IK assets from the store.

3. msgamedev

msgamedev

ok, thx. So far I only have made a couple of humanoid models and I never had a complaint about bone rotation. So I guess its not important.

Do those IK scripts not work with the global bone rotation? Because the global rotation is correct.

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

IDK what the question is here - but IK is simply to help move or point a hierarchy to a specific point in space, or controlling the hierarchy direction.

5. msgamedev

msgamedev

the question is - do those IK use the local bone rotation in any way. If not then there should be no problem I guess.