Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the Heretic using Realtime GI?

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by dgoyette, Jan 22, 2020.

1. dgoyette

dgoyette

I read on some unofficial site that the Heretic demo uses the Realtime GI system. It seems like that's the case when watching the video, as I see bounce lighting as the light sources move.

Will Unity release a version of the Heretic that runs on Unity 2020.1, where Realtime GI is no longer supported with HDRP? Is Unity working on a new HDRP visual demo under 2020.1, which won't have Realtime GI, to show how the same kind of lighting effects can be achieved without the Realtime GI system?

Mainly, if HDRP no longer has the benefit of Realtime GI moving forward, will Unity demonstrate how scenes can be properly lit to achieve similar visual?

2. BATTLEKOT

BATTLEKOT

I do not think that Unity Heretic use real-time GI, only group light probes I think.

They deprecate Enlighten and Real-time GI for introduce new system called DDGI that will work faster and better that old real-time GI (ofc on RTX cards)....

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  3. dgoyette

dgoyette

I'm not familiar with what it means to use light probes without either using Realtime GI or Baked Lighting. Could you explain that more?

With my game, I've tried two approaches:
    • Realtime GI for realtime bounce lighting on static geometry, with light probes picking up lighting for dynamic objects.
    • Baked Lighting for static bounce lighting on static geometry, with light probes for picking up lighting for dynamic objects.
    Is there some way of using light probes without using one of these two systems? With Realtime GI going away, that really only leaves Baked Lighting, doesn't easily deal with changes in light position and intensity. Anyway, just curious how light probes work outside of these systems.