Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the HDRP only designed for architecture?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Phoenix116, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Phoenix116

Phoenix116

Hi! I was looking to some features in HDRP and I honestly loved it, but seeing that it doesn't even has grass for terrains makes me wonder what is trying to do unity technologies.
    I would love being able to, more or less easily, create beautiful landscapes and HDRP seems to give you a lot of really useful things, but in the other hand they seem to ignore something useful as the grass painter.

I know I can still place my own grass, create my own shader, make them move like if they had wind and create my own grass painter, but if I'm going to need to do that every time I don't have a essential thing, maybe unity isn't the correct tool for making what I want

Just emphasize, I'm not complaining about unity technologies not making what I want, I just want to know if I should invest time in the new render pipeline

2. Mauri

Mauri

The lack of grass is a known issue and the devs are aware of it. Keep in mind that the HDRP is still a work in progress (hence the "Preview" label) until 2019.3 or so hits.

Phoenix116 likes this.
  3. konsic

konsic

I want grass painter for any imported mesh.

Phoenix116 likes this.
  4. Phoenix116

Phoenix116

The HDRP has a lot of features that I always wanted in unity, there are some assets that do the same, but having those things in HDRP means that they will be always updated, I really want it to be successful and have a lot of features :p

Hahaha same, but I would understand if it is a low priority thing since probably needs some kind of texture to store the grass position and it wouldn't be able with every object
    But oh boy, it would be awesome ;)
    What they could add without too much problem is a vertex painting, or well, at least I think it wouldn't be that hard

5. jRocket

jRocket

Unity really needs a generic instanced mesh painting system like Unreal's Foliage tool. You can scatter objects with polybrush, but they're still separate gameobjects and that overhead will destroy performance. There is nothing like this on the public roadmap, so I wouldn't expect it. You can try looking for some asset store packages that are compatible with HDRP.

Phoenix116 likes this.