Search Unity

Is the beta access restricted to pro users only?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 511, Apr 22, 2015.

1. 511

I just found out that Unity 5.1 has UNET support, the problem is that the beta seems to be for pro users only.

I have found some subscriptions for the personal edition and I am wondering if some of these include beta access?

2. Zeblote

Zeblote

Yes, the beta is for pro users only. It's the perfect system: they deal with all the bugs and crashes, then we get everything for free.

randomperson42 and Ryiah like this.
  3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

They are basically getting a headstart to see how it affects their assets and projects. Essentially this means any bugs or crashes found are going to be based around their work and thus their problems are getting priority. While most of these will still cover those on Unity Personal, it is still possible for a number of problems to sneak their way past the betas.

angrypenguin likes this.
  5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I think its a weird decision, I loved bug hunting in the 4.6 beta, it was fun. However Unity knows what they want from their beta testing programme, and at the moment that is just pro users.

6. 511

That's what I thought, but it was worth a try. The thing is I am still evaluating if I go with Ue4 or Unity. I have now evaluated Ue4 for 3 months and I like it a lot but the compile times are driving me insane.

I have now around 140 files and a simple change to my character will result in a 70 sec build time. That is why I am looking at Unity.

I know that there is mono for Ue4 but it seems abandoned and I don't really want to maintain a wrapper at the moment, I just want to finish my first game.

The problem is my game requires networking and I can't really test Unity without a good networking solution. UNET just hit beta but I would need to get at least one month of subscription and $75 just for beta access seems to be pretty high.

7. Woodlauncher

Woodlauncher

The subscription is a twelve month commitment so you can't just subscribe for a month.

Kiwasi likes this.
  8. Ryiah

Ryiah

What are your system's specifications? I've been occasionally dabbling in UE4 but I haven't really gotten to a big project yet.

9. 511

i5 2500k 8gig and ssd. I am managing all headers by myself and I don't use unity build which gives me better build times.

A change in FooCharacter.h triggers a recompile in 27 different files which results in roughly 70 sec build time. To be fair this is my worst case scenario at the moment.

Try and experiment with the ShooterGame example if you are interested in build times for your machine.

That is unfortunate.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    Ryiah likes this.
  10. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I think Eric or one the QA guys pointed out a while back that large percentage of "bugs" during one of open betas were mostly nonsense. I would guess that limiting it to pro users is less about giving pro users a head start, and more about reducing the noise.

Possible? You are quite the optimist. ;)

11. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

That makes a lot of sense. Considering how much noise the scripting section gets I can imagine what the bug reporting tool is like.

angrypenguin and zombiegorilla like this.