Search Unity

Is that legit or not?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Rowlan, May 28, 2020.

1. Rowlan

Rowlan

I wanted to buy a bike and a helicopter and am actually confused by this:

publishers.jpg

3 different publishers and very similar descriptions for rather cheap assets.

Ever since a publisher told me last week that someone took his assets from this store and sold them as bundle for cheap on this store, I've become sceptic.

Take e. g. the bike publisher, pointing to someone's artstation page who works at CD Projekt Red.

Or the helicopter guy's link points to sketchfab, but those helicopters are nowhere to be found there.

And the tank guy's link points to an awesome artstation page, not to the low poly stuff that's sold here on the store. And the name of the publisher vs the name on the artstation page is totally different.

2. Rowlan

Rowlan

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  3. Rowlan

Rowlan

And another which looks odd. Same pattern with description, inconsistent website and .ru email address. Oh, and of course the 5 star rating ...

truck.jpg

trucks.jpg

4. Meceka

Meceka

Asset store lost its credibility for me after I contacted them about stolen assets. Please see the thread below;

https://forum.unity.com/threads/exported-stolen-assets-being-sold-in-the-asset-store.892990/

After this response, I stopped reporting such stolen assets that are being sold. Asset store doesn't yet understand how big of an issue this is.

About your posts, yes they are probably scam. Those guys just found out they can export models from some games, especially games with mod support. And they sell it everywhere. And these will eventually grow as asset store doesn't care even if it's reported with clear evidence as I've shown in that forum post.

My experiences were also always Russian. They even offer you to pay to them directly instead of using the store, to not risk a refund. It can be used as a bait.

From my experiences, Cgtrader is bad, Turbosquid is the best, and asset store is the worst with handling these.

5. vertexx

vertexx

Interesting indeed and valuable post.
    How do other Stores/Shops stop this from happening to them?

6. Rowlan

Rowlan

And another with the same pattern.

Got confirmation now that this isn't the artist that is linked in the publisher's page

41741.jpg
    car.png

7. kdgalla

kdgalla

They don't. Most other sites I've seen are far worse for this sort of thing.

8. Rowlan

Rowlan

The one that @Meceka linked, just for sake of having them collected. Pattern is pretty much obvious, especially with the abused sketchfab account that links to an abused artstation account:

construction machinery pack - publisher.jpg
    construstion machinery pack.jpg

9. Flurgle

Flurgle

That's very common. There's a lot of weird stuff. We've found one particular publisher who has taken random shaders from the ShaderToy community, and sold them for unity in the ShaderLab format. I'm talking hundreds of shaders, I doubt they asked for permission for them either, which is required by the default license there.

10. Rowlan

Rowlan

The artists reply very fast, here's the next Sketchfab / Artstation publisher of which I have confirmation that this is NOT his account. See the pattern?

raiza.png

raiza detail.png

11. Rowlan

Rowlan

Next one. Funny thing is at first I searched them via google. Now they turn up as related links on the Unity Asset Store. What has a car and a boat got to do with a gun?

ymal.png

Anyway, here's the publisher with the assets:

lanspy.jpg
    lanspy details.jpg
    I'd love to be proven wrong.

12. Meceka

Meceka

You can't be proven wrong. We can easily see that these are fake. Just hard to prove them.

But the one in my post (I linked again below) is 100% fake. I even shared which game it's exported from. Anyone with some experience can say for certain that all these models are exported from Construction Simulator 2014. They even have the same dirt pattern on the vehicles and the same imperfections or the same mistakes.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/exported-stolen-assets-being-sold-in-the-asset-store.892990/

Turbosquid did remove them in just 1 working day, they have an expert team working on such matters. Therefore I can recommend it to everyone in this forum. Even though models are expensive, it's a lower chance you will find stolen assets there. Just report one and you will see it from their response.

I even reported a false positive once. A logistics building from 2 different artists that looked exactly the same.
    I wish I could share you the response, it was so professional, showing whats different in textures when zoomed in, showing wireframe structure and topology differences, and they even found the real building which those 3d models were based on and told me it looks similar because both artists modeled the same thing.

But it's not necessary with those construction simulator models. You don't even need a professional to understand it. They are screaming that they are stolen. Nevertheless, I had no good experience with the asset store team so far. I wish there were some alternatives.

13. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Someone has put *MY* model on the asset store for sale! :mad:
    I reported it days ago and have not heard back.

PauSchiSea likes this.
  14. vertexx

vertexx

Goodness me! I'm in the wrong business!
    Now...how do I set up shop.
    Hmmm, at least I don't need to actually make something. That will help.
    Hi, Unity..I wish to.....etc etc.

15. Rowlan

Rowlan

Did you just report the asset itself on the asset store page or did you file a takedown notice?

http://response.unity3d.com/takedown-notice

wetcircuit likes this.
  16. wetcircuit

wetcircuit