Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Is text doable?

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by mike_unity414, May 18, 2020.

1. mike_unity414

mike_unity414

Brand new to project tiny here. Trying to get my bearings!

I am looking at 0.22 with 2d support and have made a Hello World project. I can put sprites on screen and manipulate them. Great! But... I need to get text on there too to close the loop on something actually viable. The logical equivalent of classic Unity canvas & text elements on screen. I'm actually having quite a bit of trouble figuring out how to tackle that -- Putting a canvas with text on there will show up in edit mode but not at runtime so I suspect it just doesn't have any conversion path into DOTS/tiny land. What makes me even more suspicious is that the samples (tiny gems, tiny spaceship) have text on the screen *baked into sprites*. This makes me suspicious that maybe text isn't supported.

So... is simple text actually supported? If so, is there a good simple example to go look at to emulate?
    If not, is there a rough non committal timeline to when it might come online?

2. caladluin

caladluin

As far as I can tell from the "Getting Started" document, text is currently not supported. If the text can be static, you can look at how they bake numbers into textures in Tiny Racing, since that might be a good way to have the editor experience of creating/editing text while being able to have the UI display the text before that feature is in.

3. v_vuk

v_vuk

Unity Technologies

Howdy! We have a new text system coming quite soon, that supports a DOTS-y interface to text. Our samples will have been reworked to use it. The current "baked textures" approach is... let's say, less than ideal. :) The one significant limitation of the new system is that there's no anchoring/RectTransform-style layout yet. Text is placed relative to a 3D point in the world. But an anchoring-style layout system will be coming in the future as well.

4. mike_unity414

mike_unity414

Thank you for the clarification and setting of expectations!

I look forward to exploring the boundaries of those releases