Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2020 LTS & Unity 2021.1 have been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Is terrain grass working on HDRP yet?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by MadeFromPolygons, Feb 13, 2019.

1. guptearchit

guptearchit

Is there still a unity fix to this issue???? cuz it isnt working even in 2020.1.1

2. jeremyco

jeremyco

Unity Technologies

@camta005 There will be a production ready solution for painting details on current terrain with custom ShaderGraph shaders in 2021.2 with HDRP and URP support

The built-in "Grass" mode will not be supported, but recreating that effect in ShaderGraph is straight forward.

3. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

is that a specific terrain tools or a general (gpu) instance painter?

4. drhippodev

drhippodev

5. N1warhead

N1warhead

That's stupid, completely and utterly stupid. Nobody is asking for this stuff right now. I mean hey cool make the new superior grass system and when it's done it's done, but how about make the original one work now without making desperate people have to go spend $79 dollars on the asset store for a feature that should for all intents and purposes be supported or have to wait 3 years like I have or have to wait another year for 2021.2 to come out. URP does it, so should HDRP, there's no excuse for this.

Vharz and drhippodev like this.
  6. N1warhead

N1warhead

I'm sorry for the rant, but it is truly, very truly frustrating to be waiting years, have heard multiple Unity devs say 'oh we're working on a new terrain system with layers, grass will be paintable on said layers, etc' just to hear it's been canceled/put on hold for other important things.

I have almost no faith in what the teams say any longer, because when it comes to grass it always seems to get pushed to the back burner. Every single time. Yes all these new features coming are great! But come on, we need to at least be able to make a beautiful environment to give these new features any real value.

Yes the moon is pretty, but eventually staring at rocks and dirt all day is going to bore everybody.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  7. Kelkith

Kelkith

After spending the better part of 4 days researching solutions for this completely ridiculous problem, as of HDRP version 10.3.1 the options that a developer currently has are:

- Purchase the Vegetation Studio or Vegetation Engine asset(s). Minimum for these is $60 USD, and you're at the mercy of another developer.
    - Create a grass prefab and use the hacky workaround of placing them as Trees. Not a great solution, unsure about how good performance can be with this.
    - Write a custom terrain shader solution for a feature that somehow has been glossed over for nearly 3 years.
    - Scream

I've decided to go with the grass-as-trees approach for now, and I'll see about doing some performance benchmarks.

PutridEx likes this.
  8. alphabean11

alphabean11

@jeremyco do you have any info on how you connected your alpha map to the position in VFX Graph? I’m currently trying to build what you said you were able to accomplish with VFX Graph and splat maps, but I can’t figure out how to make that connection to have the grass show up on just my splat map. Any suggestions to get me going in the right direction?

9. Mauri

Mauri

I know another one: switch game engines.

Seriously, though... The HDRP itself should've never been called "production-ready" in
    2019.3+
    , considering it lacks such a fundamental thing. Just to put it into perspective: "To be production-ready, a render pipeline needs to provide tools for artists to express their creativity" was said in a blog post last year.

10. Metron

Metron

It does enable you to do so... you just have to show restraint...

11. jRocket

jRocket

It's production ready- as long as your production doesn't have foliage, water, impostors, custom post fx, tessellation, real-time GI, or any kind of open worlds.

PutridEx likes this.
  12. pbritton

pbritton

That sounds awesome. It is 100% compatible with games that are still in concept stage.:p

13. Kelkith

Kelkith

So after some extensive testing of all the non-paid options, I've found some more frustrating discoveries as well as a temporary solution.
    • Polybrush doesn't work on Unity Terrain, so placing them in a reasonable manner is out of the question.
    • Using trees-as-grass seems to be the only reasonable solution for the current HDRP mess, however there seems to be no way of altering placed trees rotation, so your grass will always grow perfectly vertical.
    • Trees-as-grass skyrockets draw calls, however it doesn't seem to introduce any actual lag.
    Unity very much needs to get the terrain system sorted because it is a completely broken mess as it is currently, and having to use an already hacky workaround to get something as simple as grass working is just silly and makes me worry that if the last hacky workaround (replacing build in billboard shaders for grass) got patched out, it feels like I can't really trust further updates to not break more stuff.

The only other viable solution I can foresee possibly working is using the VFX graph to place grass on terrain. I'm not certain how possible it is to control where grass would be painted with a solution like that however.

TLDR; Want grass in HDRP? Use trees-as-grass and deal with its rubbish look or pay 60+ dollars to get a solution.

14. PutridEx

PutridEx

I believe it's now in alpha, 2021.2. I think you have to download it from github to test, not sure though. I couldn't find the github pull for it. so maybe it's not in yet.

15. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

unityunity