Search Unity

Is terrain grass working on HDRP yet?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by MadeFromPolygons, Feb 13, 2019.

1. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

As the title, does it still come out as pink or does it at least draw now?

2. Prophet54

Prophet54

I have the same question. I have upgraded my Grass details to Render in HDRP Dragging them and placing them on the terrain they render fine but using the paint tool they are pink in the editor. Trees are painting fine and I can paint them on with the tree painter but don't really want to delete all the grass detail and repaint. UNITY PLEASE answer this question. Poor guy above me has posted it all over the forums and been given the run around every time.

NekrosArts and MadeFromPolygons like this.
  3. wyattt_

wyattt_

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately, there are no shaders for grass in HDRP at the moment

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

There probably is buried under all that snow. At least that's what I tell myself.

Ruslank100, soleron, ROBYER1 and 2 others like this.
  5. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Thanks for getting back to us wyatttt!

If anyone knows the bare minimum required to get a shader working with grass on HDRP then that would be amazing knowledge to share!

Whether via shader graph or by hand, I dont mind doing some heavy lifting shader work to get this running as its the only thing making HDRP a pain to use. The tree brush just is not the same otherwise I would use that

6. Flamacore

Flamacore

Hey all :) So here I've managed to get a very basic core shader working on terrain detail painting. Billboard mode and coloring does not work as of yet but it does the job. As I've stated on github as well, no idea about performance but on a few tries, it looks just fine :)

Here you go for starters:
    https://github.com/flamacore/UnityHDRPTerrainDetailGrass

7. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

You Sir/Madam, are a saint!

This is amazing, thanks so much. Hopefully between the amazing people here on this forum we can get the coloring and billboarding working too :)

8. Flamacore

Flamacore

Updated it with experimental wind. :)

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The hero we needed and never deserved that we never saw coming.

10. gdespaux2010

gdespaux2010

Is this still the case with the full release of 2019.1, or have they fixed the terrain to be compatible with the latest version?

11. jRocket

jRocket

I tried on 2019.1 and it was still broken. Unity really needs a better mesh painting tool like Unreal's Foliage.

12. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi,

>or have they fixed the terrain to be compatible with the latest version?
    There is currently no plan to support Grass detail in HDRP. Alternative solution are worked on. No ETA.

dog_funtom and AntonioModer like this.
  13. gdespaux2010

gdespaux2010

That's...disappointing. Is there any sort of reason?

The lack of support on this, what appears to be simple issue, makes me feel like the oddball, thinking that grass on a terrain is a normal thing to try and do...

guptearchit likes this.
  14. jRocket

jRocket

Rendering basic grass planes is actually very inefficient due to the overdraw. It's also tied to the old built-in renderer, so it's not surprising that it's not supported. I would say to use detail objects for grass, but that doesn't seem to work properly either. I am happy to hear about an alternative solution though.

dog_funtom likes this.
  15. gdespaux2010

gdespaux2010

I can understand that, then. But I hope the devs can understand how odd it is to open a game engine, try to use the "released" SRP, and be unable to use the built-in solution for terrain and grass.

What this really means, is that I'm unable to use the shiny new VFX Graph or Shader Graph, because they're somehow locked behind SRP as well, which my project is incompatible with due to the fact that my world needs grass and trees.

andreyefimov2010 and Karabkou like this.
  16. Mauri

Mauri

Keep in mind that the HDRP is still WIP - with an out-of-preview release expected for 2019.3.

Flamacore made a hack for HDRP grass - see post #6. Have you tried it yet?

17. crashTX

crashTX

Well here we are in 2019.2 beta and 2019.3 alpha...what world does Unity live in? A 2D world? Heads up.... 3D terrain... composed of grass and water. So this is the second statement I have heard from someone @ Unity that there are no plans currently for grass or oceans for HDRP. If that's the official stance say so... don't want to waste any future dev work if I have to move to a different platform.

logan4179 and racarate like this.
  18. jRocket

jRocket

Well, HDRP is still in preview. And it has already been mentioned by @SebLagarde that there is alternative to the old detail sprites being worked on.. although I would be curious to know what that is and when it is coming. Hopefully something like Unreal's foliage tool. As for "oceans", you can probably make something decent enough with the shader graph, but I wouldn't expect too much unless you know what you are doing. Unreal doesn't have a built-in water solution either.

19. awesomedata

awesomedata

Just out of curiosity -- is this being planned for ECS / DOTS instead of shader instancing?

How does doing grass with something like ECS compare to doing it solely in the shader?

The MegaCity demo makes it seem like this could be feasible, but I'm still not quite sold. Anyone tried something like this?

20. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Last time i heard this is their actual plan, to include the grass/terrain detail in DOTS instancing. i assume GPU instancing are part of DOTS Instancing , Don't take my word for the last as i'm still trying to confirm what is DOTS instancing actually

awesomedata likes this.
  21. awesomedata

awesomedata

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/DOTS-StreamedInstancingSample

Not sure where this came from, but I found this someplace -- Does anyone know an article or tutorial this github is associated with?

Seems like the new DOTS-oriented grass/object instancing stuff.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  22. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Discord

23. Refeas

Refeas

Well, that's quite a long stretch for such a basic feature. The only way right now is probably to use Vegetation Studio Pro, which still has just a limited support of HDRP tho. It is also built on top of DOTS.

We're in prototyping phase with our project, but not being able to get together a basic picture of game visuals due to missing features like grass is very limiting.

There was a HDRP grass hack by Flamacore but doesn't work anymore since 2019.1+ for some reason.

Did anyone figure out atleast some temporary solution for this?

ROBYER1 and MadeFromPolygons like this.
  24. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Having issues here also, far from ideal!

25. Sonorpearl

Sonorpearl

@SebLagarde Any updates on an "Alternative" solution to the Problem? Would be really nice to have some kind of Terrain Grass in Unity 2019.2. :)

26. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

AntonioModer and Sonorpearl like this.
  27. Psychoram

Psychoram

9 more votes!!!!

RealArt1994, awesomedata and ROBYER1 like this.
  28. Haugkall

Haugkall

Any updates on grass and other detail objects in HDRP, you could always add grass later but they make a big difference in achieving the final look to your scene.

29. jjejj87

jjejj87

My guess is that the HDRP terrain details and grass are about to get a massive update which runs off DOTS...

So I am trying my best to be patient.

hippocoder likes this.
  30. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

I will ask about this during Unite Conference Copenhagen as they are focusing on DOTS

awesomedata likes this.
  31. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

anyone at gamescom might want to ask about it there.

32. msgames_matt

msgames_matt

Is there any estimation for grass shader for Unity2019?

33. Deleted User

Deleted User

Unity Should To Fix It.
    My Grass Or Detail Or Tree Is Pink.

34. Deleted User

Deleted User

35. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Voting doesn't work. It's just a number that Unity can look at if they want to and are indecisive about things. It doesn't mean if you have all the votes, anything will occur. It's just an extra bit of data for Unity.

As they know about this, the voting might tell them people want it, but everyone including Unity knows people want this. It's just low priority. You can of course make your own shaders etc.

Sorry to be bearer of bad news but you'll be waiting for a very long time unless you get a shader elsewhere.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  36. pbritton

pbritton

Almost a year later. Any updates with regards to this? I felt like wasted my time creating a landscape using the built in solution only for it not be be fully functional. Why is it even an option in HDRP if its broken.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  37. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I'm sure staff will be along some point (some are probably still on breaks) but it's my understanding it's a WIP at the moment.

38. pbritton

pbritton

Is the only option available for grass in Unity's own terrain system using HDRP this third party asset?

39. pbritton

pbritton

I just tried again with HDRP 7.2.1 and its a negative.

Subliminum and camta005 like this.
  40. konsic

konsic

41. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Grass works fine for me on the latest URP. have you tried updating your HDRP or using URP?

42. konsic

konsic

Maybe I'm doing something wrong then.

hippocoder likes this.
  43. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

If you are I would say it's due to Unity's insufficient communication. To assist them and future users, what are the steps you've take so far @konsic ?

awesomedata likes this.
  44. Rowlan

Rowlan

What do you mean? Is billboard grass supposed to be working already in HDRP? I just tried, it doesn't in 2019.3.1f1 with HDRP 7.2.1. I'd be happy to provide all steps in case it's supposed to work :)

soleron and camta005 like this.
  45. Refeas

Refeas

It's not supposed to work since Unity didn't implement anything yet. Rumor has it they plan to create some DOTS streamed instancing solution for the grass and terrain details but who knows. I just went with Vegetation Studio Pro which will be more capable than anyhting Unity can produce (as it will most probably be some sort of preview package anyways).. Waiting for Unity to do their thing is a waste of time you can spend on other things.

jc2 likes this.
  46. Rowlan

Rowlan

URP doesn't seem to be working either. In opposite to HDRP the billboard grass is painted, but there's some black circle that I have no idea where it comes from (red arrow) and the grass is painted with noise holes (blue arrows) which later on get filled as you approach the area.

urp.jpg

ROBYER1 likes this.
  47. awesomedata

awesomedata

Judging from your like on the previous post, I take it this is not true?

48. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Working completely fine for me on UniversalRP, I am technically using 8.0.0 from here though, give it a try? Not having any issues with it so far

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ScriptableRenderPipeline

awesomedata likes this.
  49. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

50. Rowlan

Rowlan

You bring a lot of confusion into the game ;) When you say "latest" you should mention that you use alphas and what not ... :)

soleron likes this.