Search Unity

Is Steam Networking a good solution?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by TheGaul, Dec 27, 2020.

1. TheGaul

TheGaul

Steam has it it's own networking solution . Anyone know if this is any good for making multiplayer games?
    I can't seem to work out if it's meant for just sending simple text messages to other Steam users, or if it can handle fast P2P traffic in the client-server model.

Also, not sure if you'd be locked into just using it on Steam.

anyone know about this?

marcospgp likes this.
  2. Mauri

Mauri

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  3. BetaMark

BetaMark

The advice that I got was that if you plan on making a multiplayer game primarily to ship on steam, then learn everything about steam networking as you will need that API for many of the things player will expect such as the "invite to game" steam friends function.

With that said, if you are just getting started learning how to build multiplayer, it might not be the easiest to learn from and work with, and I've not heard great things about their documentation.

For my own project, I went with other frameworks and planned to pay someone to add the required steam hooks once I knew my game was fun and playable on pc and my other target platforms.

Nl_Daniel and marcospgp like this.
  4. marcospgp

marcospgp

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
    BetaMark likes this.
  5. nra

nra

That wiki is from a wrapper not made by Valve and adds no value to this convo.

ontopic:
    Rust and Garry’s mod are made with unity and their own C# wrapper Facepunch.Steamworks, might add enough to your decision OP.

marcospgp likes this.
  6. BetaMark

BetaMark

I disagree with you there. Based on the OP's comment of "I can't seem to work out if it's meant for just sending simple text messages to other Steam use" -- offering them wrappers that might make it easier to get the full steam networking stack (whether it be Facepunch or Steamworks.NET) is very on topic to this conversation.

This does give me a chance to point out that excellent Garry's blog post about how he feels about Unity back in March of 2020: https://garry.tv/unity-2020

marcospgp likes this.
  7. nra

nra

I was referring to his guidance to not use Steamworks based on a quote (via an image) from the Steamworks.NET (not made by Valve) wiki.
    That guidance is what I found to not add any value to the conversation.

Cool blog post! Thanks for sharing.

marcospgp and BetaMark like this.
  8. BetaMark

BetaMark

Ah, I hadn't realized the image was from the .net wrapper. Good point to make that they are unrelated.