Search Unity

Is someone even want to have their own render pipe?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by BattleAngelAlita, Oct 17, 2020.

?

Do you want to have your own render pipeline?

1. Want, i'm a indy/enthusiast

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Want, i'm a company

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. Don't want, it's too dangerous

7 vote(s)
    77.8%
  1. BattleAngelAlita

BattleAngelAlita

At first, everybody was very excited that unity adds ability for everyone to write they own custom rendering. But what i see now - everybody sticks to URP/HDRP and refuse to make custom rendering. What happens? It is fear of bus-factor? Fear of some-maybeee-future-bugs that unity fix sometime in *RP? Artist refused to work without shader graph? Some specific feature of *RP?

2. koirat

koirat

For me.
    It's not about your own complete render pipeline, It's all about modification/extending the existing one.
    But for now the promise behind HDRP is good enough. I will be very happy when promise becomes reality.

3. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I used to want to make my own, early on, even did some tests. Then the complexity of SRPs rose without better documentation.

Also I now view SRPs in general as a mess, which kinda makes me want to avoid them as a whole.

With all that said, I've been asking for a subforum that is intended for people that want to write their own SRPs. Even if it's not very popular, I'm sure it would be educational.

4. Matt-Cranktrain

Matt-Cranktrain

I found Jason Booth's thoughts about "owning the graphics stack" in this thread very helpful when it comes to the question of whether or not to maintain a fork of an SRP or a customised-from-the-ground-up varient:

5. BattleAngelAlita

BattleAngelAlita

So basically answer is "expensive". Funny how unity force everybody to switch from "cheap to modify" Standard to "expensive to modify URP/HDRP".
    But how about unique features that can offer custom SPR? Point light shadows;), dynamic GI, heavy stylized game graphics, switch <-> 4k scalability, portals, grab-pass after all?