Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Ryzen 7 2700x a good processor for Unity?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ZeRAM, Oct 8, 2019.

?

Is Ryzen 7 2700x a good processor for Unity?

1. Yes, it is.

14 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. No, get something better

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. ZeRAM

ZeRAM

So I was wondering whether a Ryzen 7 2700x is a good processor for indie game dev (Unity and UE4 to be more precise) consider its recent drop in prices (you could get it for around 160 euros in some stores) or maybe some other processor for this amount of money might be the better choice?

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, the 2700X is a good processor for Unity. For multi-threaded tasks it should be faster than a 3600X but if you want to increase the performance of single-threaded tasks the 3600X is faster in that way and depending on where you live in the world it's not that much different in cost.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    Antypodish, Amon and vakabaka like this.
  3. deliquescator

deliquescator

Definitely! It's a great CPU without breaking the budget and probably the best choice at your price point.
    It might not be as good as an Intel i7 equivalent in single core performance but it's not a very noticeable difference and it demolishes it in multi core anyways - considering the price difference, it's a steal.

Amon likes this.
  4. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Im sitting on that very CPU, its a good CPU for productive work. Though its aged now. I would go for the 3950x when it releases. Or wait to see what Threadripper delivers on Zen2. There are rumours the memory latency problems of old generation TR is fixed, if thats true they will be killing Intel. A 32 core monster with good memory latency, yes please!

If you go with the 2700x be sure to use Samsung B-Die memory, while being better than Zen, Zen+ is still picky with its memory.

Ryiah and Joe-Censored like this.
  5. lolaswift

lolaswift

Hi, did you eventually go for the 3950x? I need some advice on which one I should get, 3900x or 3950x. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The 3600 series is overall better, and will do different workloads more consistently and rely less on ram speed, so just get any from 3600 up as they will all work on the same (hopefully good and tested) mobo.

lolaswift likes this.
  7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

zombiegorilla likes this.
  8. N1warhead

N1warhead

I've got a Ryzen 5 1600. Haven't really run into problems with it, yeah I could always use better. Just haven't seen a need to update really as it handles pretty much anything I throw at it perfectly fine.

lolaswift likes this.