Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Roblox the future of making games?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yoonitee, Mar 30, 2018.

1. yoonitee

yoonitee

If you're over 15 you probably never heard of Roblox. But they just paid out $30 million to developers for games made with with their in-game game-engine.

Should we all be ditching game engines like Unity and making games with Roblox?

Compared to Steam which probably paid out about a $billion last year to developers. Still that means Roblox paid out about 3% as much as Steam which is not bad.

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

Until their game creation tools stop sucking absolute ass? Absolutely not.

Kridian, Joe-Censored, Amon and 6 others like this.
  3. yoonitee

yoonitee

But those sucky ass games seem quite popular.

AndrewGrayGames likes this.
  4. Murgilod

Murgilod

No, no, the end product is fine, but making that product is like pulling teeth. It is very specifically the creation tools I take issue with. They're extremely high friction.

5. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Ha! No.
    Steam paid out well over 4billion. With the top game at 600mil alone. Not to mention that is only through the Steam channel, real games you can sell in multiple places. Roblox can only sell through Roblox, and if a developer is having a hard time selling games elsewhere, it is pretty unlikely you can switch gears and sell and market to tweens. You can do well if you are already part of that ecosystem, but trying to enter that market is a fools game. Also bear in mind any future is dependent completely on the robolox platform... they are a social network for kids, there is sketchy material there and who knows what will happen long term. Some bad press and it can crumble.

RavenOfCode and theANMATOR2b like this.
  6. neginfinity

neginfinity

Definitely not.

7. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

While I second the 'No' option, I do say that we should show the games created with the Roblox platform with respect, especially given Murgilod's account of the tools as 'high-friction'. Obviously, people are enjoying them. While the tools might be akin to getting a massage from a cactus, it appears that there's some lessons it's possible to learn from the platform.

8. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

@JamesArndt has knowledge on this topic - what relation do you have with Roblox?

I've attempted to kindly nudge my son (age 10 now) into engineering/coding/programming because in my mind I'd like him to have knowledge that has eluded me for over 4 decades, and I believe programmers are the current and future 'manufacturers' of the world.
    I've shown him scratch, tynker and several other abstract, kid focused programming tools that are presented as gateway tool for programming. He hasn't picked up on any of them not for lack of trying.

Until he started piddling around with Roblox and the (creator/designer?) where he has been able to "program" some elements into his world. He enjoys it quite a lot, messing with the 'code' to change colors, directions of animated objects, animate elements, triggers, events, var, bool, etc. and pretty much most 'common' game dev elements.
    He's also taken an interest in the animator features within the creator/designer. It is terrible - but functional at the basic level.

Although I agree with @Murgilod completely - I'm glad my son has found that one 'thing' that has sparked interest in engineering/programming/design.

9. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Hi everyone. So yes I'm an official employee contracted to work for Roblox. I've been with them for maybe 4 or 5 months now. I create the 3D model avatars, hats, weapons...basically anything you can think of that a player can buy in-game I make the official Roblox versions. I'm on a team of about 20 of us who work remotely and produce all of the official Roblox content. We do all kinds of licensed content in the game as well, Disney, Marvel, Nickelodeon, Universal Pictures, etc. I can give a bit of my take on the platform itself, but I am not a world builder in Roblox nor do I play it very often. I happened to get connected because I have three children of varying ages who all play it.Their friends at school also play it. Roblox isn't the future of "making" games, but it is most definitely part of the future of "playing" games. It's uptake with the youth from ages 5 to about 14 is unbelievable. It's unbelievably popular with children which in turn is why I think it will end up maturing and growing into something more. The players will age out of it, but they will have spent several years playing it and will carry that influence with them. If you're familiar with Ready Player One, Roblox is pretty much a very early S***ty version of the Oasis. You can be anything you want and go anywhere you want to. As a side note and a technical observation, one thing that BLEW my mind was something I thought was impossible. A player on a mobile phone can go into the same world and room that a player on an Xbox One is playing in and they can play together seamlessly. This goes for a Mac and a PC as well. I didn't think that kind of realtime cross platform play was possible until I saw it with my own eyes.

Anyways there is definitely money to be made in the Creators program where you pay a small fee and can deploy content into the platform and be paid for it. Like someone else mentioned though, the sandbox tools for creating the content are an abomination. Say you want to rotate a point light...there isn't a handy gizmo for that. You have to look in the X, Y and Z axis boxes and manually type in rotations. No you cannot just mouse drag slider style over those boxes either. This is a very small thing, but it's representative of the entire editor experience. Just horrid. I am sure the editor and tools will soon see a major upgrade however. There has recently been a major influx of funding to the platform and there are upgrades coming. No it's not the future of making games, it's editor is one of the worst I've ever used. Is it part of the future of playing games? Yeah, absolutely. These kids don't want rules in the virtual world, they want to be surrounded by 100 people in a world in real time, they want to do anything with any item they can, complete customization. They want to play experiences and puzzles that change every week. It's showing us a partial end to "static" games, single player games, at least for very young people. Us adults will always want that epic and cinematic "The Last of Us" experience I am sure. The industry is going to break apart even more the next few years and polarize with these different ways of playing games.

slumtrimpet, x0r, Antypodish and 8 others like this.
  10. tango209

tango209

I'll just second what JamesArndt said. I have triplet 9 year olds and they love Roblox. Some of their favorite games are pure roleplaying such as being in a wolf family, working in a daycare facility, going to high school (really!?), being a my little pony. There is nothing to do in those games but roleplay, almost no mechanics, and they love it. One thing to understand, that took me awhile, is that they do not care about good graphics, controls, etc.

As for the IDE, yeah it's not great. It took me a year of off and on playing with it and getting pissed off at how bad it is to finally put some time into it so I could make the girls a little world they had wanted. Now it's not so bad.

Lastly, I read that about half their user base is under 13. Now, I thought 'and how much are they really going to be spending on the platform'. Well, getting them in-game currency is one of my kids most request reward/gift/present.

It's been interesting watching them use the platform and seeing what they find to be fun without all the shiny polish.

theANMATOR2b, Lu4e and JamesArndt like this.
  11. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

You nailed the whole thing. All of my kids role play in it, even the seven year old. That's it's biggest allure. The last three Christmas's the kids requests are Roblox cards, which they promptly run home and buy Lamborghini's or helicopters or pizza hats. My son spends his days making and selling pizzas in a shop, building out his billiards room or disco room in his house, surviving a freezing winter in a bunker, escaping a prison while guards chase him, sitting in a high school learning math or something, sailing around the lake avoiding a Jaws-like shark. All of this stuff is in the same game!

12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

I think you should totally be ditching Unity and you should try Roblox. That's your suggestion and I eagerly await the results. I am mid dev so sadly I won't be joining anyone.

13. tango209

tango209

LOL, all of those with the exception of the bunker sound very familiar. I've enjoyed playing Shark Bite with them quite a bit. It's got one of them interested in trying to program, just need to work through her severe lack of patients due to Autism.

14. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Games as a service has/have been sweeping the "adult" industry for a number of years now, so it's not all that different. Microtransactions, weekly updates with new content, strong focus on repetitive gameplay (with stuff like loot shooters--Destiny, Division, soon Anthem, etc.). EA makes 800 million dollars per year from sports game microtransactions.

JamesArndt likes this.
  15. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Yeah the bunker one is called "Dead Winter" and it's actually a really good premise for a standalone game. So you are placed on a wide open world map. There are cars and gas placed sporadically around the map, but they are very rare so most of it is on foot. It's winter and it's snowing. There is a countdown to nighttime and a freeze that's not survivable. The only way to survive is run for the closest bunker and be inside of it when the time runs out. The doors to the bunkers close up at that point, so you better be inside. It's a free-for-all mode and in some spots I think only so many people can fit into a bunker, so in a dash for one, you stand a good chance of getting whacked by someone.

16. tango209

tango209

I'll have them try that out. Sounds like a PVP take on The Long Dark.

17. ChazBass

ChazBass

As a father of a 12 year old, I would say no. According to her, Roblox games are so, so last year!

What are kids playing now? My 15 year old daughter plays Fortnite exclusively. My 12 year old daughter is back on Minecraft, not the base game but things like Murder Mystery, and a whole bunch of other server based games I don't pretend to understand.

theANMATOR2b, Ryiah and JamesArndt like this.
  18. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Yeah that age can be the early start of "aging" out of Roblox and by 15 kids won't play a "kiddie" thing any more. Fortnite only recently stole the thunder from Player Unknown Battle Grounds, and both were the advent of this recent battle royale game popularity craze. It's YouTube and the influencers on there that are driving kids, tweens and young adults to play Fortnite. Shoot it's a craze with a lot of adults too. I feel like this eventually vaporize on it's own after a long tail (like Team Fortress 2).

Roblox isn't as much a game as it's an evolving platform. I always kind of saw it as Second Life for children. One thing is for certain, it's user base has been on a steep upwards trajectory the last few years. They will need to do some work on the current issues with adults pretending to be children in the virtual worlds. That recently started to make the news and it's a big problem for the platform. How do we know if our child is talking to another child or a 45 year old man?

theANMATOR2b and Ryiah like this.
  19. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Okkkkay let us talk about roblox.... I've screwed around making a little obstacle course for that game - and I gotta say - the tools are downright junk.

If you are familiar with unity - the roblox editor is ohhhh so broken. Which is unfortunate, I know kids who play, and I even enjoy the silly user made levels of that game, but its just far too broken to get any serious work done in that editor.

I won't even start about how the modders/devs who make money on there have to make really ridiculous numbers of plays (from what I've read) to even make it profitable, because I never tried releasing stuff, so couldn't say that is all true or not.

With that rant over, I sure hope future games follow in roblox's footsteps, as I think devs who put in the extra effort to not just allow modding, but really build a game concept around the idea, that is great stuff. It puts the seed of development into young gamers minds... and it means future generations will become more and more familiar with working on games, which I think is cool about that game.

Ryiah likes this.
  20. yoonitee

yoonitee

Well I'm finishing a "proper" Unity game by May for Steam so I thought about doing something a bit easier. But apparently roblox isn't that simple. So there goes my plan.

What I thought was I could use assets from my proper game and import them into Roblox. But I wonder if it is easy in Roblox to steal someone else's models?

I was thinking if its just kids making games with Roblox with the experience of using Unity maybe I could make quite a good game in it. But then again, I might feel bad at trying to market a game to kids. My usual market is probably 20-30 year olds and I don't mind taking their money!

The obvious bad thing about Roblox is the blocky Lego/Minecraft rip-off characters. So its not really a threat to 'proper games'. Maybe it should be thought of as the nursery school (kindergarden) and primary school of games until people graduate onto grown up games.

I think the lesson I would take away from this is, market your Unity games at the over 18 age group. Because (1) they have more disposable income (2) you can make more interesting games and (3) all the young folks are playing Roblox anyway.

21. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Can you come work for me? I'll pay you 3% of what you are earning now, which is not bad.

22. zoran404

zoran404

This was possible in Unity since ever and I'm sure there are games that have done this ages ago.
    How is this a new thing for you?

zombiegorilla and JamesArndt like this.
  23. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Yes it's possible, but it's not common. There are several large technical hurdles to the approach which I'm sure you understand. That's why most games you have seen in the last few years have multiplayer, but it doesn't work across PS4 or Xbox One, or the Xbox One people can't play with the PC people, the PC people most likely are not playing with Android or iOS people, etc. It's just now starting to become more commonplace and has come to the forefront with the recent popularity of Fortnite. Basically Epic Games sums this principle up better than myself with an excerpt from a March 2018 Gamasutra article on this new realm of possibility:
    "We believe this is the future of games," commented Epic. "The same game on all platforms. Console quality graphics and action. Play when you want, where you want."

So to reiterate my point, yes it's astounding that we are arriving at this becoming standard, because it hasn't been in the past. Just because something is theoretically possible, does not make it commonplace.

24. zoran404

zoran404

Don't exaggerate so much..

25. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Don't take my words for it. Epic Games refers to it as an "incredible feat" which it rightfully is:

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/one-mesh-to-rule-them-all?sessionInvalidated=true

Go and try to troll and argue with them about how this has been so accessible and easy over the years. Give me a break dude. Obviously you haven't worked in this industry very long.

If you want to come and have reasonable discussion okay. I don't care if you're new to the industry and don't understand the technical side, we can still talk...but what we're talking about should be grounded in reality.

I will own the fact that I shouldn't have said "impossible". I should have conveyed that I meant to say highly unlikely and uncommon that developers take the time to make a console or PC game work in sync with a mobile device. It's a lot more work with dealing with multiple sets of the same assets and sometimes the financial return isn't worth the extra work. In fact there has been a divide between console and mobile for years that is only starting to come together now. AAA developers wouldn't usually put in their design docs plans for mobile ports of games, as mobile developers don't usually design their games around them looking good and working on an Xbox One. We are entering a new era, with new possibilities opened up. This is what I wanted to convey, we are seeing a convergence and this is not something that's always been around.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  26. Ryiah

Ryiah

It had less to do with technical hurdles (at least for consoles) than it did with the platform owners saying it wasn't allowed and while you can do it now between a console and a computer you still can't do it between consoles thanks to platform manufacturers.

Quoted from Wikipedia:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-platform_play#History

Articles mentioning cross-console limitations due to manufacturers and not technical difficulties.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/ark-developer-theres-nothing-preventing-ps4-xbox-one-cross-play (2017)
    https://www.engadget.com/2012/03/05/counter-strike-global-offensive-loses-cross-play/ (2012)

An article mentioning cross-platform (PlayStation 3 and PC) has been feasible for a while now.

https://www.cnet.com/news/valve-bringing-steam-supported-portal-2-to-ps3-in-april/ (2011)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  27. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Indeed. At GG we were doing it in 2008, Mac/pc/Linux/Xbox. For mobile, the only issue is making sure client versions are in sync (which used to be a bigger problem). Other than that the only issue I’ve experienced is platform owners. (And that was MS wanting their players separate.).

Kiwasi, JamesArndt and Ryiah like this.
  28. yoonitee

yoonitee

They might pay out 3% as much but if they have say 1% the number of developers each developer on average gets paid, 3 times as much.

But... but... but... this website is an interactive multiplayer experience that works on mobile and Xbox.

The only difficult thing is making the graphics work both on mobile and Xbox. The easy way to solve this is just to have very bad graphics. Nothing says you have to have super high quality graphics on an Xbox just because it can.

JamesArndt likes this.
  29. Haugar

Haugar

People will steal your stuff, you are able to report but your report will just be ignored.

actually its pretty easy to steal even an entire game and just publish it back with a similar name, they will even resell stolen assets for a lower price and you cant do anything about it, a lot of developers even if they can model will just make simple block models as a result of this.

Sincerely I don't really see the point of using Roblox for any project, even for a small game it's better to simply use Unity and publish it on itch.io (or steam) that way even a small game will be able to look decent, and the development of the game will be a lot more enjoyable.

Martin_H and JamesArndt like this.
  30. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I definitely agree with the insights being shared. To expound on my original statement, we're seeing more of that convergence specifically incorporating mobile and console into real time multiplayer between the two. We really haven't seen this being done so much in the past, so we're entering a new era with this kind of synergy between the two. My personal experience with it was working on a Skylanders game that never shipped to market. We were working on play between the Wii and an iPhone 3G at the time. I experienced these technical hurdles and learned a lot from it. Back in 2010 I'm sure it was technically possible to a limited degree to sync these devices with real time multiplayer, but the experience between your iPhone 3G and your Xbox 360 or Wii would have been quite different. Mobile devices today are moving on par or mostly surpassing console processors and RAM specs, so today we are seeing some stuff that was not possible beyond the past 6 or 7 years.

A good part of my original amazement with what Roblox was doing is the aspect that it's almost all user-generated content in each level. We play quite a bit of Roblox in my house and I've seen levels where a level creator would cram so many materials or particles in a level that it would run at about 10 fps on a high end gaming PC. Just a ton of user generated content that is highly unoptimized. So knowing that optimization of the content is key to this cross platform play across mobile, PC and console, you can begin to understand my amazement that the mobile version seemed to work great. Due to their user generated content having little to no optimization, I just assumed it really wouldn't be able to get good multiplayer over to mobile. We would play in one level where the creator had literally placed 530 tiki torches each emitting about 200 particles each frame. The overdraw was unbelievable and the frame rate on PC was horrid. How would you reconcile something like even with the best optimization algorithms and or replacement techniques? I think you'd have to have played Roblox and have experienced the uniqueness of the platform to understand where I was coming from with that.

I wasn't just spouting off my opinion or any kind of ignorance, I've just had personal not so great experiences trying to get multiplayer working between a console and a mobile device. I might be a bit tainted by that...but I've shipped over 17 commercial studio games so far and haven't had to deal with this in any of them that shipped. Luckily for me the mobile and console markets have been very segmented amongst themselves, but I feel that's going to be changing. I think that's what Epic Games was trying to say in their article I posted up there as well. Sure you could technically sync the multiplayer between these devices, but what was that experience like back in the day? It wasn't good, it was reduced visual fidelity on the mobile end and that's no good. We are entering an era where that's not going to be as much a problem. You'll start having very similar experiences between mobile and console or PC, if not the identical experience. That just wasn't possible back in the day, not at today's fidelity. Their key words in this article:

"being able to play together on the same server in the same map with the same set of assets." Not possible back when, but today it's becoming possible and it's good for us developers!

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/one-mesh-to-rule-them-all?sessionInvalidated=true

31. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Ha ha see now you're also talking to a CSS and HTML dev as well. No the experiences are not the same. In fact the browsers on Xbox interpret the CSS different in some ways. Also you must know that it works as well as it does because HTML and CSS are interpreted languages, they are not compiled. Compiled languages like C#, etc are a whole other ball game. You can get away with some serious nastiness in the interpreted languages and stuff will still "work", even though to you the site appears okay, it's broken in the background!

32. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Did you ever swing round and give that a try on mobile to see how it played?

JamesArndt likes this.
  33. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Ha ha no I did not. I wasn't even playing this but my son started freaking out over his frame rate becoming unbearable and he wanted my help. I came over to inspect the setup and make sure he wasn't doing something to cause it. I found the source and tried to explain it to him, but I dunno if it flew over his head or not. He just wants something to look cool in a game and has no idea the technical limitations. He had the same issue with another level that was a bowling alley of all things. He was outside of it looking at the exterior structure and the framerate was chugging HARD, like 5 or 10 fps. I had to inspect a little closer, but turns out the developer on this one must have imported a 10-20 million polygon count model for the building into the level. I walked up to it's details and noticed extremely high detail on all of the building. Looked like someone dumped a scan data model or a CAD model into the level! He had done the same thing with some Vegas style palm trees outside the building, there were probably 30 or 40 of these palms lining the front of the building. When I went up to inspect them, they had each palm leaf and frond modeled. They actually had no texture map, but the polygon detail was so high it could be colored to look like it was textured. These palms had to be close to 350,000 polys each.

Martin_H and EternalAmbiguity like this.
  34. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

I explicitly disabled all social features on my kids' Roblox.

Martin_H and JamesArndt like this.
  35. Murgilod

Murgilod

Yep, it's the only way to be truly safe, unfortunately. On the plus side, the vast majority of games have no need for these social features.

Martin_H, JamesArndt and Dustin-Horne like this.
  36. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Plus the roblox bad word filter is super aggressive, and will filter out like... anything remotely close to bad.

I found a few things that'll slip through - but no worries I tested that in a server with another adult and no children present :p

It goes so far as to filter "facebook" or "snapchat" or any other social networks as well!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  37. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

That is probably to discourage kids from connecting with strangers outside the game. The Lego mmo was super careful and aggressive about that as well. Which was comforting on a certain level.

38. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Comforting == Compiling with draconian US legal requirements for software aimed at kids.

This isn't just a nice to do, its a generally a legal requirement if you want to market your games at US kids.

zombiegorilla likes this.
  39. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

The Lego one was far above complying, they were actively trying to make it a safe place. I knew a couple of folks on the team, and they were putting a huge and serious effort into it. Though it did end up pretty funny at times. As the challenge was that the player base a mix of 10 year olds and adults. It ended up nearly having a language of its own. You would end up having to type phrases phonetically out of acceptable words. It was like it’s own min game. ;)

Kiwasi and MD_Reptile like this.
  40. G8m3D351gn3r

G8m3D351gn3r

Speaking of dads with small children obsessed with the ROBLOX platform (And a former Full Sail Game Design student myself [we should talk shop]), it’s very clear that it’s going nowhere anytime soon. My 7 year old’s been obsessed with it for the past several months and while at first I was both appalled and confused as to how something so crudely designed gain so much of his interest, I’ve truly come to see the potential in not only new ways to play and connect with my kid, but to even help him start his path towards game design and development early.

I recently made the commitment to create my own ROBLOX acct so I can play with him, but when I got to thinking about a potential additional stream of income, all I keep hearing are terrible things about their built in dev tools. Now as an asset creator, can I essentially create ROBLOX maps and levels in Unity and then import them into ROBLOX on the dev side of things? With everything I’m currently working on, I try to keep my learning curves as shallow as possible. Lol. Any insight you can lend as a fellow Full Sailor would be awesome.

Thanks again for sharing your story. It really helped me solidify my decision to become more involved in my kid’s development!

JamesArndt likes this.
  41. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

As far as my knowledge goes you have to use their installed sandbox editor. I don't think Unity projects would port over. The editor is rough if you are used to more sophisticated engines and tools. Roblox kind of dumbs everything down and that might be a good thing for starting out. We're definitely up there on the charts. I don't make levels or work in the editor at all. I create art content for the platform in regard to the characters only and all of their associated props for clothing, weapons, armor, etc. I've moved up in the world a bit and am starting work with the toy line rendering marketing artwork for retail. The platform has had tremendous growth and from what I am hearing it's only going to get bigger and more robust by year's end.

We're already in some good top 10 lists:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/most-played/games/xbox

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  42. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Its normally possible to do these sorts of things cross platform. But it requires a pretty deep knowledge of how the format works in both engines. Its not a beginners task. That said, once someone else has built the plugin to switch between formats, its normally the click of a few buttons.

43. Ryiah

Ryiah

Only the Roblox format. Translating Unity files is only necessary if you don't want the user to have to download Unity but if you don't mind them having to deal with that you can just write an editor extension that exports the scene loaded to the Roblox scene format.

I just signed up, downloaded, and spent a few minutes with Roblox Studio. By default it uses a binary format for scenes but you can choose to use an XML format instead which appears to be very straightforward. Below is an example of a camera from the Village scene.

Referent is basically a GUID. I have no idea what the "R" tags are for and removing them just made it generate them again.

Code (csharp):
    1. <Item class="Camera" referent="RBX16F90EFEAAA1425A85898CBBA838B968">
    2.       <Properties>
    3.           <CoordinateFrame name="CFrame">
    4.               <X>38.6779709</X>
    5.               <Y>70.4228058</Y>
    6.               <Z>187.885345</Z>
    7.               <R00>0.785661101</R00>
    8.               <R01>-0.312098801</R01>
    9.               <R02>0.534163773</R02>
    10.               <R10>-1.49011612e-08</R10>
    11.               <R11>0.863424659</R11>
    12.               <R12>0.504477859</R12>
    13.               <R20>-0.618657112</R20>
    14.               <R21>-0.396348625</R21>
    15.               <R22>0.678359151</R22>
    16.           </CoordinateFrame>
    17.           <Ref name="CameraSubject">null</Ref>
    18.           <token name="CameraType">0</token>
    19.           <float name="FieldOfView">70</float>
    20.           <CoordinateFrame name="Focus">
    21.               <X>37.609642</X>
    22.               <Y>69.4138489</Y>
    23.               <Z>186.528625</Z>
    24.               <R00>1</R00>
    25.               <R01>0</R01>
    26.               <R02>0</R02>
    27.               <R10>0</R10>
    28.               <R11>1</R11>
    29.               <R12>0</R12>
    30.               <R20>0</R20>
    31.               <R21>0</R21>
    32.               <R22>1</R22>
    33.           </CoordinateFrame>
    34.           <bool name="HeadLocked">true</bool>
    35.           <float name="HeadScale">1</float>
    36.           <string name="Name">Camera</string>
    37.           <BinaryString name="Tags"></BinaryString>
    38.       </Properties>
    39. </Item>

44. Ryiah

Ryiah

Roblox might have been made to dumb everything down, but I can't agree that's the case with Roblox Studio.

One very easy example would be trying to move objects. You click "Move" on the toolbar, you click on the object, and you hover the mouse over the transform axis you want to move it along and it highlights. Up to that point everything is as you would expect, but clicking and dragging the transform axis doesn't nothing.

Why would the transform axis highlight if you weren't able to do anything with it? What's worse is when you move the objects the way they were clearly intended to be moved and they jump all over the scene because it doesn't handle it intelligently.

Creating a light source is yet another example. With Unity you can do it in three clicks with the GameObject menu, but with Roblox you have to click on an actual mesh part followed by the '+' symbol, navigate or search the menu for the appropriate type, and click on it.

What's worse is if you want to modify the light. You can't just click on it in the hierarchy and drag it. You have to move the part it is attached to because light sources are not actual objects in the scene. Beyond that you have the usual problems people complain about when working the properties panel.

I'm certain I could come up with a very extensive list of problems if I took the time, but after spending only a few minutes with Roblox Studio I'm convinced I wouldn't be able to tolerate it long enough to make anything. It feels like the company didn't want to invest the resources required for a good editor and just made an adequate one.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    MD_Reptile and JamesArndt like this.
  45. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I agree with all of your points. I suppose that's what I meant by "dumbed down". Maybe I didn't mean it's easier to use, just uses a more convoluted base system that to me seems "dumb". I don't personally use it as it's not required to use for my work with them (thank god). I will say though, you have lots of "kids" using it to make worlds and come up with game scenarios so there has to be some usability to it. I've found some great ideas in there that I think could work outside of Roblox in a Unity game. "Dead Winter" is a good example of that. I'd say a developer could make money without bothering to make worlds or game scenarios in the editor, just do what I do professionally for Roblox, but do it as an independent through the "builders" club. You can create your own hats, armor, avatars, clothing and sell them in the Roblox catalog. There's a massive customer base in there willing and ready to spend Robux on your creations. It's enough for me to work in my pajamas when I like, anywhere I like, and pay my bills each month.

Ryiah likes this.
  46. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

My 9 year old step son loves Roblox. But creating a game in Roblox is more like an advanced level editor than creating a whole new game.

JamesArndt likes this.
  47. SunnyChow

SunnyChow

Yes! Abort Unity and invest your time and money on Roblox. Nobody uses Unity nowaday, like ... totally and literally. Your calculation on income is definitely correct. You will earn a lot if you quit Steam and completely focus on Roblox. Roblox is the future and you should do it.

JamesArndt likes this.
  48. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Would be an odd time to pick to jump ship from Unity. There are crazy things coming out now for the Unity Editor, almost all of the things we ever dreamed of the editor being.

MD_Reptile likes this.
  49. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Actually while this thread is partly joking around there's much to be said for someone hitting the asset store and making click together game makers in asset store.

That's a great use of the Asset Store as now shader graph is with us with SRP, getting your visuals or shaders from it would be a bit silly in the days to come.

Asset store is a perfect way for making Unity a lot easier but more specific for things. I'm sure the playmaker guys made some serious cash over the years :)

JamesArndt, Ryiah and theANMATOR2b like this.
  50. patrickfromgnome

patrickfromgnome

Hello Everyone, My name is Patrick :)
    I've do sometimes play ROBLOX with my friends even doe I'm 16.

But mostly I just try out ROBLOX Studio, Help a guy called Ultraw a big Developer that made, Restaraunt tycoon, Clone Tycoon 2 and so on. So you might be asking what do I do what that big Developer.
    So I help him with Editing some of his videos, Make trailers and much more of the video stuff.

When I play ROBLOX it's roleplay games a lot or simulator games cause they are just really fun to play around being another character and it's the same as people going to COSPLAY and go in a costume and roleplay as someone from Star Trek, Star Wars and Video games. Theirs something about ROBLOX that just makes me keep playing it even doe I stop and come back.:) I've been playing it since 2010 - 2012 as a guest and then 2012 I made an account forgot the password, stopped playing Roblox and stated again at 2014 and still playing it in 2018.:)

I don't really think ROBLOX is a "Kiddie" game, but most likely it is sometimes. ROBLOX is one of the reasons I wanted to create games but most likely I got making video games cause I was amazed by a game called Metal Gear Solid that I know for when I was really small and also wanna make games cause of a Little Big Planet where u could use ur Imagination.

- Best Regards Patrick.
    - Sorry if my English isn't the best ;) I'm from Denmark.
    - ROBLOX Name: BosOfRoblox.