Search Unity

Resolved Is Relay supposed to not work if no connection is created?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by CodeMonkeyYT, Nov 13, 2022.

1. CodeMonkeyYT

CodeMonkeyYT

Hey everyone,
    Is Relay supposed to not work with no connection?
    If I just allocate the Relay and get the JoinCode
    Code (CSharp):
    1.             Allocation allocation = await RelayService.Instance.CreateAllocationAsync(3);
    2.             string joinCode = await RelayService.Instance.GetJoinCodeAsync(allocation.AllocationId);
    Then on the client if I try to join with the JoinCode
    Code (CSharp):
    1.             JoinAllocation joinAllocation = await RelayService.Instance.JoinAllocationAsync(joinCode);
    I get this error
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Unity.Services.Relay.RelayServiceException: Not Found: join code not found ---> Unity.Services.Relay.Http.HttpException`1[Unity.Services.Relay.Models.ErrorResponseBody]: (404) HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
    Whereas if I do the exact same thing, but then also call StartHost(); and StartClient();
    Code (CSharp):
    1.             Allocation allocation = await RelayService.Instance.CreateAllocationAsync(3);
    3.             string joinCode = await RelayService.Instance.GetJoinCodeAsync(allocation.AllocationId);
    5.             RelayServerData relayServerData = new RelayServerData(allocation, "dtls");
    6.             NetworkManager.Singleton.GetComponent<UnityTransport>().SetRelayServerData(relayServerData);
    8.             NetworkManager.Singleton.StartHost();
    Code (CSharp):
    1.             JoinAllocation joinAllocation = await RelayService.Instance.JoinAllocationAsync(joinCode);
    3.             RelayServerData relayServerData = new RelayServerData(joinAllocation, "dtls");
    4.             NetworkManager.Singleton.GetComponent<UnityTransport>().SetRelayServerData(relayServerData);
    6.             NetworkManager.Singleton.StartClient();
    With this it works

So is that error intentional? Is Relay not supposed to be able to find the JoinCode if no connection is made with UTP or NGO?

mateuszwallace likes this.
  2. Cranom

Cranom

Not sure but my guess is it works as intended and not an error, Relay is just that, relaying to something, so if no server is started it can't relay to anything ?
    Still, interested in the correct answer from someone else !

3. simon-lemay-unity

simon-lemay-unity

Unity Technologies

I'm guessing what you're observing is the allocation timing out.

Allocations have a liveness of around 10 seconds. If nothing happens on an allocation for 10 seconds, it is removed automatically. NGO will keep allocations alive on its own, but only if a host/client is started. So in that sense what you're observing is the intended behavior.

4. darklanx

darklanx

I can confirm that this is the case for me.

Reference for others: https://docs.unity.com/ugs/en-us/manual/relay/manual/keep-connection-alive

CodeNinja- likes this.