Search Unity

Third Party Is PUN2 good enough for a VR FPS?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by FishStickies94, Feb 18, 2020.

1. FishStickies94

FishStickies94

Hi all,

I'm looking a creating an 6/8 player VR FPS game and have been looking for the right networking solutions for days. We've been using PUN2 in our recent project (A 1v1 VR sports game) and mostly it's worked well.

Leaving server authority aside for now (the target platform is the Quest, so not much cheating potential), is PUN2 going to be able to handle a fast-paced FPS? Is it going to be too dependent on the Master Servers ping?

I've been looking into other options, such as Bolt, to create dedicated servers but non of the people on the team have networking experience. From what I can see Bolt looks like the "simplest" option, which I'm sure we could probably get to grips within a couple of weeks however it then comes to the problem of hosting. Headless would be the easiest option but it's hard to gauge a potential cost of that, especially as you'll be paying Photon and Server provider for their respective services.

2. tobiass

tobiass

The FPS genre is actually one of the strengths of Photon Bolt, so I would recommend that. It brings a few features to the table that you would have to implement in PUN 2.

Bolt can run as headless but you don't have to host dedicated servers. It's fine to run it in-engine on one player's machine. If possible, the clients connect directly to the host. Matchmaking and the direct connection are seamlessly handled by the Photon Cloud - including a relay fallback.