Search Unity

Is ProGrids broken?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by andyz, Feb 21, 2019.

1. andyz

andyz

ProGrids does not work too well, when editing vertices in ProBuilder for instance:

- selecting "snaps all selected objects to grid" snaps the vertexs NOT currently selected (should be ones selected!)

Also the grids seem to jump around so the major lines are not always in the same place, even if lock position is on. They never are at the right root position it seems.

Am I missing something or is ProGrids a bit broken?

(2018.2.20, latest packages)

2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Andyz! There are some known bugs, but these are new to me, also I'm unable to repro here - can you let me know the exact version numbers for each package? Thanks!

3. andyz

andyz

Trying with fresh project (Appears to be ProBuilder 3.09 & ProGrids 3.03-preview.4 with 2018.2.20)

If you install both and set grids to .1 and create a ProBuilder cube then the grid will be have major lines meeting at 0,0,0, corner of the cube. If you turn the camera until the selected cube's root goes out of the window or you zoom out to second grid level then the origin appears to shift by a grid square (major lines no longer crossing cube's corner).

the vertex snap issue is not so easy to recreate now

4. andyz

andyz

If you have some vertices selected and choose "Center Pivot" and then choose snap to grid this is where the snapping breaks as the selection has changed internally or something after "Center Pivot".
    BTW I thought "Centre Pivot" would centre on middle of selected vertices but centres on whole of object so its pivot will move up and grid no longer at y==0

5. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

6. andyz

andyz

Yes I see the pivot option now thanks.

PB 4.03 has similar issues with a y-axis (x/z) 0.1m grid often being .1 off (major lines) in different directions.
    Sometimes the grid is left at a funny zoom too. The more perspective camera movement you do the more things seem a little off.

Also is there no control for the y position of the ground/y grid? Its height is the pivot of an object it seems but you might want it always at y==0 or if you edit a vertex in PB at top of a tall object maybe you want it at level of selected vertices

7. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Grid rendering: yep, we're hoping to clean up the rendering soon, definitely issues there.

Grid height: sure, just disable the "Follow selected" toggle, then hit the bracket keys and the grid will move up/down (or left/right, forward/back, depending on axis). Hope that helps!

8. f1ac

f1ac

Issues with ProGrids in 2019.2.a8, HDRP, PG 3.0.0 I have found:
    - Grid is not rendered
    - It is not possible to move camera with RMB held down in half of the directions (S and D keys) while PG window is shown
    - When PG window is closed, Unity grid shows up even if it was disabled previously
    - PG window buttons react only to RMB

9. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! We have these fixed up internally, should have a build out soon. Thanks for your patience!!

f1ac likes this.