Search Unity

Question Is possibly +30fps in a Soft Body 3D simulation using Runge Kutta Integrator?

Discussion in 'Physics' started by JorgeIbanez, Apr 22, 2023.

1. JorgeIbanez

JorgeIbanez

I want to make a collision simulator between a car and a wall; I want to model the car as a soft body to give it a more realistic effect.

I have been researching and I have found that one way to do it is to model the car as a mass-spring system, I have also seen that the realism effect varies depending on the integrator that is used, I am specially interested in the Runge Kutta Integrator as I have seen that it provides very good realism effects.

I want this simulator to be able to run at an acceptable frame rate (24 or 30 fps at least), however I have never created anything like this (neither a soft body nor the Runge Kutta Integrator), so my question is, can even Unity be able to run a simulator with these characteristics with an acceptable frame rate assuming is well optimized? or am I being too ambitious?

2. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Any limitation is nothing to do with Unity at all and everything to do with your knowledge and skill and clearly nobody on a forum can tell you if you can personally do this or if you're being too ambitious.

The Unity Physics (DOTS) system is written entirely in C# using the Job system for instance.

So in short, yeah, go for it. :)