Search Unity

Is possible to import unsupported 3d model to Unity?

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by ptr0x, Dec 21, 2015.

1. ptr0x

ptr0x

Hello there,

I'm working in a game which we already have some 3d models (static and animated) but they are in a binary format that is not supported for Unity by default.

My question: is there a way to import these "custom" 3d formats to Unity or I have to convert my models to FBX and then import to Unity? I'm aware that if it is possible I will have to do some low level coding (I just need some light in this possibility). The struct of these 3d models is well known.

Thank you very much!

2. Dantus

Dantus

ptr0x likes this.
  3. ptr0x

ptr0x

Thank you very much for the very fast resopnse.

Could you tell a bit more about this "parser" you told? What should it be?

Other question: about the animations, what should I do? Do the Unity's Mesh class have support for the animations?

The animations in my scenarious stays in a different file. We have the .msa for static objects. For the animated objects we have the .msh for the mesh, bones and joints; .ani for the animations and .bon to put all the .msh together (creating the basic skeleton).

Thanks!

4. Dantus

Dantus

A parser takes some input data, like the your file format and converts it into the required data structure, in this case first of all the meshes. If you don't know that, it is very likely not doable without hiring someone to do that for you or to use another solution.