Search Unity

Third Party Is Photon PUN good for a battle royale?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by r31o, Aug 3, 2021.

?

Photon PUN for battle royale?

1. YES

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. NO

16 vote(s)
    84.2%
  1. r31o

r31o

Hi,
    Im following a tutorial of how to make a battle royale in Unity.
    The guy uses Photon PUN for the networking.
    I dont know if it is a good idea to use it or follow the tutorials until it adds the multiplayer and add one myself.

What I should do?

2. PutridEx

PutridEx

Pun isn't meant for large scale multiplayer instances, like a battle royale.
    For that, you're better off using the new and upcoming Photon Fusion, which is supposed to be the new improved network solution, better in almost every way -- and is much better at handling large-scale multiplayer instances.
    You can find more about it on photon discord, and can use the currently public early access version.

3. r31o

r31o

Thanks!
    Now, how I migrate from PUN 2 to Fusion (cool name btw) @tobiass can you see this and help? I

4. tobiass

tobiass

PUN 2 was used in several BR-style games but that was before we had Fusion, which is a solid basis for those games.

There is a doc for using Fusion when coming from PUN. That should help a bit.
    When we find the time, we might follow up with a postmortem for porting the Asteroids Demo over.

5. r31o

r31o

Thanks!

6. r31o

r31o

One question @tobiass
    Has fusion some limits like PUN (20 free ccu, 500 msg/second every room...)
    In the documentation it only says that is very powerful and it can handle 200 players in a room at 60hz. It also says that is free. That means that I can have 1000 ccu for free or unlimited msg/second every room?
    Im confused :confused:

7. tobiass

tobiass

The Fusion package is free and there is a 20 CCU development-time "subscription" included. This is the same as in PUN 2: You get a limited number of concurrent players but when you have more players, there is a fee for the hosting / service. This of course pays for development of Fusion in the first place.

I don't know yet, if there will be a message limit for Fusion.