Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

is pay to unlock levels a good way ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MrZzzero, Oct 18, 2018.

1. MrZzzero

MrZzzero

is pay to unlock some levels a good way to earn or its negatives are more than it's positives ?? and how to achive that (how the player can pay to unlock the levels) a general view ? (Android game)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

I don't think it works as a revenue stream in 2018. If people have to pay to unlock a level, they are much more likely to find another free game to play.

If they pay for character enhancements in a multiplayer game, that feels like value to them.

3. MrZzzero

MrZzzero

i edited my post i'm talking about google play store, so if i give them for example the first 10 levels free then they need to pay for other 30 level it won't work??, i think super mario game had that

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

You aren't nintendo. I'm done here.

5. Ryiah

Ryiah

Which only reinforces the point being made by @hippocoder. You need to take the expectations the players have for the platform into consideration. The Google Play Store is filled with free games that don't have locked levels. If people see levels locked behind paywalls they're much more likely to find a new game than to pay to have it opened up.

6. MrZzzero

MrZzzero

hhhh thanks for the reply
    i didn't understand you

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

I edited my post to clarify.

8. Murgilod

Murgilod

I'm okay with it if the entry point is free, but I don't think the general consumer really is anymore. The market has dramatically shifted away from such practices in favour of things that aren't really super sustainable if you don't have a lot of money and clout going in.

That said, I wouldn't mind this one bit on PC/console if the free entry point was maintained. I certainly like it more than other practices.

GarBenjamin and Ryiah like this.
  9. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Nintendo can get away with something like that, but most indies could not. As an indie, you need to focus on how to get people to play your game. With Nintendo's Super Mario game for phones, millions of people wanted to play it before any details about the game were announced. As an indie, there is no comparable pent up demand for your game, so you cannot do the same monetization strategy that Nintendo can do.

carking1996 and Ryiah like this.
  10. JasonBricco

JasonBricco

Just make sure you make it very explicitly clear that people have to pay to unlock levels... if they go in expecting a free game and discover that there is a pay wall, that isn't going to end well.

Definitely prioritize getting players to your game over monetization initially though.

Owen-Reynolds likes this.
  11. MrZzzero

MrZzzero

yes the danger may come from the clones

thanks for ur reply

thats the problem as a solo developer to earn from ads while u can't afford enough money for marketing

12. MrZzzero

MrZzzero

yes that's why i mentioned some free early levels

13. Antypodish

Antypodish

Definitely you need players base, for such approach.
    Perhaps I won't be too off, if I say 1 person buys per 1000 (1k) players.
    So for 10k layers, you may get 10 purchases.

14. MrZzzero

MrZzzero

so it's not a deal for a first game

15. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Don't speculate. Test.

Start with your free content. Introduce a small purchasable package, see what happens. Be flexible. Don't design things to work a certain way, if you don't know that way will work. Have a back up plan, and three more. This is war people. Don't F*** around with your time/money.

Most importantly, nobodies going to buy nothing unless they just have to keep playing the game.

16. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

As already mentioned, I think paying for enhancements to your character is more enticing than blocking off large portions of the game's content.

When you block off most of the levels it makes the free version of the game feel much more like a traditional "demo" than a free game, which offends people like me upon realizing I've been somehow duped into playing a demo without knowing it. I almost never give money to any company which I've felt has duped me.

If you do want to block of levels, you could do it in a way where players that don't pay can still earn the unlocks. It is old now, but one of my favorite single player mobile games is Zombie Gunship. After each time you play you earn a number of credits. These credits can be used to upgrade your weapons, buy single use items, and unlock new levels. If you simply play the game long enough you can unlock everything, including all the levels, just by earning the credits. But you can throw the developer some money and get a large number of credits all in one go to do the same, and you still get to choose how you spend those credits same as earning them in game.

Socrates and Ryiah like this.
  17. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner

The above post reflects the desires of the audience. They want to feel like they’re paying for an enhancement, not being blocked off from large parts of the content because they didn’t pay.

You can make later levels much harder which would encentivise players to power up their players but still let free players complete it if they’re good enough.

Blocking off part of the game also makes players suspicious. It makes us assume that the game may suffer from the same problem shareware had in the 90s: game makers would shove their best ideas in the first third and the rest of the game would end up seeming fairly lazy. I mean quake episodes 2 and 3 didn’t even have boss fights.

18. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

JasonBricco made this point above, but it must have gotten lost. Make the pay part very clear. If the top says "Free" and the first blurb is "99 levels," that's a problem. People will think you're trying to trick them.

A trick I've seen on iOS is releasing 2 versions -- free with only a few levels, and another pay version ("Goat Kicker FREE" and "Goat Kicker Preimium"). That way it's crystal clear that the full version is $2.99.

The other trick is just gamification. Make it so everything can be unlocked but it will take way too long. Grind for 6 hours to unlock level 4, or pay 99 cents. People who hate being forced to pay now think you're a prince for allowing them to skip the grind with cash.

19. MrZzzero

MrZzzero

yes this is a business war XD

good idea thx

so it's tricky to make it a pay to unlock levels

good idea but google play don't allow my country developers to make paid games

unityunity