Search Unity

Is Package Manager updating to packages not compatible with the installed editor version?

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by jwvanderbeck, Mar 22, 2019.

1. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

I'm trying to track down issues after updating the Unity Editor just a patch version, and digging into things it looks like Package Manager has updated packages to versions that indicate they require Unity 2019.1, despite me being on Unity 2018.3.

Is Package Manager giving me package versions that aren't compatible with the editor version?

2. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @jwvanderbeck,

Yes, Unity Package Manager will bump package version to their compatible editor version when upgrading. We hope package maintainers will chose to make their package compatibles across many Unity versions. But, this is not always possible. Packages, sometimes, require a feature that exists only from a specific Unity version to function.

That said, If you ware in 2018.3, Unity Package Manager should not bump any packages to version requiring 2019.1 to work. If this is the case, you have found a bug!

Can you share the complete Unity editor versions involved in the upgrade process and the packages that you have to believe was upgraded to 2019.1? If you still have the *editor.log* and *upm.log* files generated when the upgrade happened, that would be even better!

Regards,

Pascal

3. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

Unfortunately in order to get the project working again I removed the suspect packages. I'll see what logs remain or try to reproduce it.

4. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

No worries. But if you can reproduce it, it will be much appreciated.