Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Is OpenGL ES 2 is still needed in Unity for Android?

Discussion in 'Android' started by seseguy, Sep 25, 2020.

1. seseguy

seseguy

I've noticed that Unity 2019.4 LTS includes graphical API's: OpenGLES 3 and Vulkan. OpenGLES 2 is missing in player settings by default.
    I'm trying to migrate my project from 2019.2 to 2019.4 and I wonder is it necessary in year 2020 to support and include OpenGLES 2 in my Android build?

By the way, I have some of my players reporting that they have "pink screen" or "black screen" while trying to open the game. Does it have something to do with OpenGLES 2 support missing in my Unity game build settings?

2. kaarloew

kaarloew

It depends what your target audience is. If you can drop older devices (old in here means pre 2015 phones) then Vulkan and OpenGL ES 3.0 is the way to go. Added benefit with dropping OpenGL ES 2.0 is that you can use ETC2 texture compression.

DungDajHjep and seseguy like this.
  3. natetrost

natetrost

You can view statistics about the capabilities of active devices here: https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards

The takeaway is that 88% of active devices support GLES 3+. Only 12% are limited to GLES 2. If you have limited time and resources, dropping support for GLES 2 might make sense. You may find older devices driving a disproportionate number of support requests.