Search Unity

Is OnMouse.. fundamentally broken on 2D overlapping object colliders?

Discussion in '2D' started by RidgeWare, Mar 18, 2019.

1. RidgeWare

RidgeWare

All my sprites are rendering perfectly in correct order using the layer/sorting system on the same z-axis - in accordance with Unity's own recommended approach to 2D rendering - and OnMouseEnter works perfectly on each of them individually when they're separated.

But when they are close together & overlap, OnMouseEnter/Over is not able to determine the correct collider to use. So I often get rear objects running the OnMouseEnter code incorrectly.

Is there an obvious solution to this that I'm missing? It seems strange that there is no built in function for a 2D-OnMouse event to look at multiple colliders on the same Z-axis & then simply check the Y position to determine which is the correct gameobject.

Surely detecting overlapping fore/rear sprites with the pointer correctly is a fundamental necessity in 2D game development? Is there no built-in way to do this?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  2. RidgeWare

RidgeWare

Am I going to have to end up basically firing a RayCastAll from the pointer position every frame in the update - which logs multiple colliders and registers the one with the lowest Y position?

And then, if that object is set to do something if the mouse is confirmed as over the collider it executes the code?

Esentially, remaking the whole MouseEnter/Over/Exit process from scratch and having it permanently switched on for multiple collider sorting.

If anyone's got a better idea, I'm all ears!

3. RidgeWare

RidgeWare

Well, I implemented the once-a-frame RayCastAll+Iteration method to sort the colliders and it does the job. Although I'm a bit concerned about the extra overhead, but since I'm not coming across any other solutions I guess that'll have to suffice.

I'm wondering whether the whole 2D sprite renderer/collider concept itself needs to be reworked from the ground up by the Unity team, so it can reconcile itself with the pointer position in a much more natural way. The engine always knows where the pointer position is, and the engine always knows whether a sprite should be at the front or not: Putting those two bits of information together for an instant decision on whether the pointer is over the front sprite sounds reasonable surely?

Is it worth me putting in a feature request for this? Or even raising this as a bug? Since OnMouse is effectively unusable for 2D game development with overlapping sprites. Seems to be a broken feature as far as I can work out.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019