Search Unity

Question is normal?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by PlayerCasual, Mar 31, 2023.

1. PlayerCasual

PlayerCasual

Hello everyone!! sorry for this question... when I create a unity project it takes up many gb of space... but when I download some online examples the space it occupies is really small, is it possible to streamline your project once created and then work on it?? do you really need to keep all those gigabytes? given that from the examples it is possible to develop a project where is the difference between my new project that weighs xxxxxx gb and an example that doesn't even reach 100 megabyte??? thank you in advance

2. mgear

mgear

its usually the Library folder (that gets generated, its not included on those downloaded projects)

but yeah, its huge (compared to 5.x or 2017.x)

3. PlayerCasual

PlayerCasual

and if I delete the library folder then work quietly on the project??? or do i lose some functionality??

4. mgear

mgear

it will regenerate it again.. so it doesn't help if project is still used.

5. RSH1

RSH1

The new versions of Unity use up a ridiculous amount of disk space in the library folders.

6. PlayerCasual

PlayerCasual

I only have 120GB of space and out of all the programs I can barely leave 1 project that's why I asked... how to solve it?? it really uses a lot of space... a new project.. totally empty.. i mean without having created anything it weighs over 17 Gb, then i download an example and it's 40 80 220 mb and i was wondering if there was a way to oter work on small spaces like the examples...

7. mgear

mgear

did you use URP or HDRP?

empty project sizes: (not importing any templates)
    - BiRP 2022.3 ~10mb
    - URP 2022.3 ~999mb
    - HDRP 2022.3 ~1.45gb

also,
    you can try using https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free
    to cleanup your drive, to find what takes most space.
    (for example hub and package manager can take tens of gigabytes in package caches etc)

PlayerCasual likes this.
  8. PlayerCasual

PlayerCasual

sorry what is did you use URP or HDRP?
    i jus open unity hub and make a new project
    version unity is 2021.3.20f1 lts

9. PlayerCasual

PlayerCasual

i repeat... just create whit no game obj and no 1 line code

10. mgear

mgear

what did you selected from the new project list?

seems that starting 3D core project from Hub is bit larger,
    - 2021.3 3D Core, ~200mb
    upload_2023-3-31_18-23-56.png

PlayerCasual likes this.
  11. chemicalcrux

chemicalcrux

When you download a project, you download all of the assets: sound effects, models, prefabs, etc. etc. That can be very small!

When you import that project, Unity looks at all of those assets and generates its own files from them. It doesn't use FBX/PNG/WAV/etc. files directly. All of that goes into the Library folder. This can take up quite a bit of space.

This is why you sometimes have to delete the Library folder to fix a bug -- something got messed up in there, so you have to regenerate it from scratch.

So, it's perfectly normal for this to happen. It's also why you don't include the Library folder in version control or when sharing a project. Unity generates all of that from your assets!

PlayerCasual likes this.
  12. Ryiah

Ryiah

You need a larger (and likely faster) storage for game development. Source assets for your game will be larger than the finished game will be. One of my past work projects was a 5GB game when it was ready to be shipped but the actual size of the project was 130GB (30GB assets plus 100GB library cache). You want at least a 1TB drive.

Just be glad you didn't decide to try Unreal Engine which has a 100GB installation for just the editor. ;)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
    PlayerCasual and Kurt-Dekker like this.
  13. PlayerCasual

PlayerCasual

so pulling a report... 1) I can delete the library folder as many times as I want... so unity regenerates it for me.. did I understand correctly?? I ask this question because I want to keep it when the project is finished... if I have to implement or modify something when I open it in unity it will give me back the folder I deleted... can we say this? 2) therefore it is more than normal that a clean 2d project without having lifted a finger is 17 gb... is this correct? did I get it right?

14. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Think of your final game as a car.

A car is small. You can park it in your driveway.

Think of Unity and the Library folder especially as the car factory.

The car factory could be massive and would never fit in your driveway.

You may be able to reduce the size somewhat by eliminating unwanted packages.

Extra unwanted packages in new projects (collab, testing, rider and other junk):

https://forum.unity.com/threads/temp-unityengine-testrunner-dll-error.1133938/#post-7287748

About the fastest way I have found to make a project and avoid all this noise is to create the project, then as soon as you see the files appear, FORCE-STOP (hard-kill) Unity (with the Activity Manager or Task Manager), then go hand-edit the Packages/manifest.json file as outlined in the above post, then reopen Unity.

Sometimes the package system gets borked from all this unnecessary churn and requires the package cache to be cleared:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/53145919/unity3d-package-cache-errors/69779122

PlayerCasual likes this.
  15. PlayerCasual

PlayerCasual

I'm still not able to recognize which packages I need and which I don't... the point is... it doesn't make sense to keep 17 gb on a totally empty project... or maybe even recently started... and I don't have I still understand the question of the library... can I delete it without damaging my project??? then when will I recreate it at the next restart of unity???

16. Ryiah

Ryiah

You can either leave them alone until you do as the official packages aren't very large at all, or you can create a copy of your project and add/remove packages to see what happens.

An empty project won't be 17GB. An empty project should be less than 1GB. I just created one for the legacy render pipeline in 2021.3 and it's 300MB. That includes packages and the Library folder.

Yes. You can delete it. Unity will recreate it when the project is next opened.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
  17. PlayerCasual

PlayerCasual

forgive me then can you tell me ... or can someone .. tell me why if from the unity hub I create a new project and that's it without doing anything else I find myself with 17 gigabits??

where do they come from?
    i just click on propriety of project folder...
    17.1GB
    63.335 file in 4210 folders

18. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

As others have said, they are generated from the Assets. However that does not only refer to your custom assets but also to a lot of Unity-internal ones that are needed for the editor to function.

That said.. Wait, 17 Gigabyte for an empty project? Something seems off. On my system it's less than 3Gb including what's from my custom assets.
    Or was that not a typo and you actually mean gigaBIT which would be about 2.125 Gigabyte which is normal.

19. Ryiah

Ryiah

Sounds like something is seriously wrong with your copy of Unity.

20. PlayerCasual

PlayerCasual

no no no i ask that cause is true... i have over 17Gb no error i check it... what happen whit my pc??

21. mgear

mgear

can you screenshot what template you selected from Hub?

22. PlayerCasual

PlayerCasual

i use this every time

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      37.1 KB
      Views:
  23. mgear

mgear

that should be the smallest one..

so can you screenshot your project folder, and show the largest folder there,

like library,
    upload_2023-4-2_16-56-49.png

24. PlayerCasual

PlayerCasual

oh.. sorry is true... a new empty project is for me 1,20 GB
    but a game after build is 50 mb but a project is over 17 gb... i confusing new project whit game... sorry... and is normal??
    50mb of game in project become 17GB??

25. mgear

mgear

can you check what is the biggest folder?

26. PlayerCasual

PlayerCasual

library.. alone is 15.8 gb

27. mgear

mgear

and the project is empty or you have some assets imported?

28. PlayerCasual

PlayerCasual

no.. is totally empty