Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved Is Netcode for Gameobjects viable for a mid scale FPS?

Discussion in 'Netcode for GameObjects' started by Aust_, Nov 9, 2022.

?

Is Netcode for Gameobjects vialbe for an FPS

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Aust_

Aust_

Hi, I'm currently starting to build a multiplayer FPS game, and aren't sure what networking solution to use. I'm using relay, and I'm on the fence about whether I should use NGO (Netcode for gameobjects), or Fish-Net Networking, or any other ones that I haven't heard about (Also I'm on a tight budget, so no photon). I like the look of NGO, but I'm not sure if it is the right networking solution for my game. In a session there are going to be around 40 players maximim, but not all of them are going to be fighting each other. (Doing PVE stuff). My idea is similar to Sea of Thieves'.

Thanks!

2. RikuTheFuffs-U

RikuTheFuffs-U

Unity Technologies

Hi @Aust_ , as of now NGO is recommended for small scale projects (up to ~10 players per session) where having player movement managed on the client-side (= cheateable) is not an issue.

You can make larger projects with it i you're really willing to, but you'll have to come up with your own solutions for implementing mechanism such as client-side prediction and reconciliation, which are a core part of fast-paced games. Hope this helps!

3. Aust_

Aust_

Thanks a lot! I think I'm going to use Fish-net for now :)