Search Unity

Resolved Is nesting rigidbodies still not recommended?

Discussion in 'Physics' started by BrownBrew, Mar 22, 2023.

1. BrownBrew

BrownBrew

Hello!

I found some old info that nesting rigidbodies isn't recommended since it can cause weird physics behaviour. Is this still valid?
    In my case I use separate rigidbodies for the player and it's hitbox (player is for physics and other interactions and hitbox exclusively for enemy projectiles). Player is set to Dynamic, hitbox is Kinematic.
    2_1.jpg
    Can it cause issues or am I fine?

2. BrownBrew

BrownBrew

I'd really appreciate if anyone could give me an answer before I implement this for every single enemy in the game only to rework everything later. I can see how nesting dynamic rigidbodies might be an issue, but what about kinematic ones?

3. halley

halley

Use one rigidbody. In your case, have the hit-detector code on the Player, since hits from all colliders percolate up to the object with the rigidbody. If you really really want the hit-processing code on the hitbox, have the Player object "forward" the hits to it.

BrownBrew likes this.
  4. BrownBrew

BrownBrew

Thanks a lot for the reply! :)
    I was concerned that it would be difficult to tell which collider hits which in case I have many of them (like triggers, hitboxes and stuff), but I actually only now realized that a child object still can have a separate layer and tag. That means in OnTriggerEnter2D if I compare the collider's tag and it's "Hitbox" - that means there's nothing else but the enemy's damagebox hit it (if the collision matrix is set correctly).
    Thanks once again!