Search Unity

Is NavMeshComponents abandoned?

Discussion in 'Navigation' started by caosdoar, Sep 19, 2017.

1. caosdoar

caosdoar

I am wondering if the NavMeshComponents from github is still on development.
    It looks like it is been months without activity and there is nothing about navigation on the roadmap.

dadude123 likes this.
  2. IngeJones

IngeJones

No, apparently it's part of the main release since about 5.6

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  3. dadude123

dadude123

Doesn't look like it.
    This is in 2017.2.0f1.

upload_2017-9-29_16-32-10.png

@Jakob_Unity 's last post is also almost 3 months old...

Seems like navigation is now abandoned just like networking was abandoned.

4. IngeJones

IngeJones

5. dadude123

dadude123

Hmm, yes I see.

The missing things? Well, support, updates, and bugfixes in general:

- The low-level / internal features have been added at least partially, but the editor tools were not merged into the editor
    - Editor assets are outdated for v 2017.2 and don't even work anymore.
    - Still no async baking at runtime, no setting to set path calculations per frame for each agent individually, ...
    - Also issues keep piling up at the abandoned github repo.

Its really sad to see, people needed those features for a long time and really good progress was made.
    But now Unity seemingly gave up half-way through. Seems to be becoming a recurring theme, I wonder whats up with that.

6. IngeJones

IngeJones

I think it's something to do with Jakob himself rather than Unity as a studio. He was posting at least daily until late July then just suddenly stopped and there is no sign of life from him anywhere - that's even when he stopped taking pull requests as there is one waiting from just after that time. It's a huge mystery but it leaves me wondering whether he had made this his personal project and the rest of the Unity team don't really even know about it. I wish there was a way to contact them - I even tried twitter to ask them to put an appearance in at these threads. So I am not sure why it seems so hard to simply say "Oh sorry we've had to shelve this" or whatever the case may be. It's like the Marie Celeste - everything in suspended animation :)

Maybe thats the way various of these new features come about, as side-projects for individuals who then move on elsewhere and no one is able to pick it up.

Do you still have the components from GitHub installed? If so, have you tried uninstalling them in case they are interfering with the parts of it that *should* be working by default?

dadude123 likes this.
  7. dadude123

dadude123

I don't have them installed anymore. But I'm planning to fix the problems later since we need some of those components in our project. From what I've seen all the errors are really easy to fix.

Totally agree about simply telling people "we don't have time for this anymore" (even if jakob is gone for whatever reason, isn't his superior supposed to step in and notify people?)

Anyway, I'll publish the improvements on the nav mesh components once I get around to updating them.

8. IngeJones

IngeJones

Ok but I hope you have your own fork, as I don't think he's taking pulls any more either

9. caosdoar

caosdoar

There is some development that can only be done by unity though.

From the project FAQ:
    Moving NavMesh platforms: new API is required for consistently moving platforms carrying agents.
    HeightMesh support and Auto Generated OffMeshLinks

What I would like to know if the project is going to be updated for further Unity3d releases. There is a branch for 2017.2 with two minor fixes made by another user (I didn't try it myself) but nothing for 2017.3 (still in early beta though). And if we can expect any updates in functionality.

But I don't really know if there is any Unity staff looking this sub-forum

10. IngeJones

IngeJones

Well, one thing is becoming fairly obvious. The one developer who was taking an active role in this feature has vanished since August. With any luck he is simply on extended Summer vacation...

11. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Have you taken a look at navmesh builder api?

12. IngeJones

IngeJones

I have. I guess the project stopped before the editor bits made it into the release.

13. Mike-Geig

Mike-Geig

Unity Technologies

Howdy, I can check into this but I believe that dev of the navmesh components is currently halted while we wait for other pieces to fall into place.

14. Mike-Geig

Mike-Geig

Unity Technologies

Actually, I just looked and the 2017.2 branch of the Navmesh Components repo was updated 12 days ago.

15. IngeJones

IngeJones

Well that's reassuring, thanks :) Is Jakob still with us, btw?

16. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Just registering my interest and stating that a modern navigation system is not optional. If you want to remain at the forefront of game devs, you need to keep developing this if your not!

17. DNS-Gabe

DNS-Gabe

I know this forum hasn't got much attention in years, but I want to say that I have used this repo in 2020 on the 2020.1.16f1 version, and it is working just as expected, if not better. I am truly taken away by the package/extension, and definitely saved me a major headache of generating NavMeshes at runtime through other means. Definitely a project that should continue to be worked on from this humble poster's opinion.

robochase likes this.
  18. skowroshima

skowroshima

I've been avoiding using them as I have a feeling they will be abandoned as they are STILL not incorporated in a package. It would be great if someone from Unity could update us on the intention of these components!

DNS-Gabe likes this.
  19. mplantady_unity

mplantady_unity

Unity Technologies

We've recently published NavMesh Components package to the Unity Registry, it is available for Unity 2019.4 and newer versions.

You can use it in your projects by adding the following dependency in your Packages\manifest.json files:
    "com.unity.ai.navigation.components": "1.0.0-exp.1"

Or by doing Add from Git, and enter "com.unity.ai.navigation.components"

It is the same version as the one on GitHub.

More information about what is coming next for navigation in Unity, should be communicated soon in the forum!

20. Tomasz_Pasterski

Tomasz_Pasterski

That's good to hear, can you share if there will be something regarding the local avoidance improvements which helps to resolve the problem i have presented in the movie on first post in that thread?
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/how...cal-avoidance-asset-suggestion-maybe.1025272/

21. AtomR

AtomR

I'm was really confused when I loaded the Standard Assets package and used the ThirdPersonControllerAI example. It uses NavMesh Agents and Obstacles. And it works. But somehow it doesn't have a NavMesh Surface that I can find.
    Why are agents and obstacles built into Unity but not Surface? Is this a legacy thing, for backwards compatibility effects.

22. BetaMark

BetaMark

I must have done this wrong -- when I did the "add from git" and asked for package: com.unity.ai.navigation.components, it seems to only contain the Gizmos and Tests (see screenshot / attachment).

I had to download from the github to get the NavMeshComponents/Editor/ and NavMeshComponents/Scripts/ folders and their contents.
    * https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/NavMeshComponents

Is grabbing from github and manually copying those folders the only current method to update NavMeshComponents as of this time?

Attached Files:

23. ChrisKurhan

ChrisKurhan

It works for me with the following in my manifest.json:
    "com.unity.ai.navigation.components": "https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/NavMeshComponents.git#package"

24. mplantady_unity

mplantady_unity

Unity Technologies

Did you remove the assets from the old NavMeshComponent first ? It is possible that the scripts were not imported due to a conflict with those files.

25. MartinH8921

MartinH8921

Hello from the year 2021. I'm a baby noob with Unity and I figured out how to add the NavMesh components from gitHub with the package manager. However, I don't know how to get it from my hard drive. Which files do you import when you use "add" and then choose the option to import the files from the folder of downloaded NavMesh stuff? thanks.