Search Unity

Is Mlapi free version of Photon or it is like Mirror?

Discussion in 'Netcode for GameObjects' started by Xentios, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Xentios

Xentios

What can i do and can't do with Mlapi?
    And what will it cost? Even if i make a dedicated server or not?

2. tobiass

tobiass

It is not like the Photon clients.
    It's more like Mirror in the sense that you or your players have to host the matches right in Unity instances (headless is possible). This has pros and cons.
    A lot of docs have been released, so I would recommend to check those out to see what it can do.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  3. Xentios

Xentios

Reading documentation is the part i want to avoid if Mlapi is not for me.

For example photon looks good and if i did not look pricing i could waste weeks learning and even months implementing that and I am making a free game and for a free game it is not feasible to use since even if you have 30 players daily you have to start paying.

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

With Mirror or MLAPI, if you want players to find each other automatically, or want to connect players without the host editing their router port forwarding settings manually, you'll need to set up a dedicated server somewhere. Renting a server usually requires you to "start paying".

5. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

If you have more than 20 players all connected at the same time (20 CCU), you need to start paying. That probably equates to a few hundred daily active users before you hit that limit.

However, if your game is truly free with no monetization, and you don't want to fund anything yourself, you are going to have to find a solution that allows player hosted games and doesn't require a relay service. if it doesn't support NAT punch through, you'll need to rely on players being able to configure their router to allow connections.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  6. Xentios

Xentios

Thank you this is the answer i was looking for. I guess renting a server won't cost me 90$ monthly in other service providers

@Munchy2007 Game will be casual not niche so players playing with routers instead of the game is not an option : )