Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Is 'mega-texturing' feasible for Unity3D?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ignoble Arts, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Ignoble Arts

Ignoble Arts

We constantly run into issues with large level design. Obviously the words "Large" and "Unity" don't amount to much if you want to have anything that looks attractive on screen. There are plenty of work around's for things like this as we all know but recently we stumbled across this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiQCz2NjPR8

Millions of dollars went into developing the software but its an interesting point, how feasible is a blanket texture system? Or better yet, blanket material system? If draw-calls are (at the most basic of all levels) materials then I wonder what some savvy coder could do with this concept:
    One giant texture for all geometry with a mipmap-esq texture LOD system. The video should explain more of what i'm trying to get at but in essence, a system like this should allow for large game-worlds with low drawcalls.
    Now, obviously there are other things to consider such as the number of polygons on screen (assuming you are using occlusion culling) ect..
    Other problems posed might be that the max image-size that Unity can handle is 4096x4096 which is obviously far too small and remember that to double the texture-size you need 4X the raw computing power.
    What do you think?

2. Jaimi

Jaimi

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  3. Ignoble Arts

Ignoble Arts

Wow. That's something i've never seen before. Thanks,
    I'll leave this thread open though, seems a good idea as Amplify doesn't touch all bases yet.