Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Is "Makin' Stuff Look Good"'s code still valid?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Codelyy, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Codelyy

Codelyy

Likely a silly question but I've started to attempt some things that are taught within his videos within Unity 2020.1.3f1 (It's the required version for a specific game jam I'm doing). I'm quite interested in shaders but am an absolute beginner if I'm being honest. His channel has always been a big Inspiration for me even if I never really knew what he was going on about. I've mainly been trying to understand and implement the object highlights that he creates shown within this video which I thought would be an easy effect to pull off:

I've tried looking into his provided scripts and understand them as best as I could but after a bit of research, I'm questioning if what he demonstrates in his video and what he's done within his scripts is actually valid anymore. I mean of course it likely is but trying to find the "new" method of doing it feels almost impossible as it almost seems like no one is doing tutorials on the topic, or if they are.. It's for shader graph which isn't available in 2020.1.3f1.

The main thing that I've noticed doesn't seem to be valid anymore is the "OnRenderImage" function which from testing, isn't actually called. I did some research on it and this is why I believe there are new methods for this type of thing as a few mentioned that the pipelines such as URP and LWRP don't support it, and some even mentioned that it's quite inefficient anyway.

I'm mainly interesting in knowing if what I believe is true and curious if anyone has any recommendations for tutorials that could lead me on the right direction to understanding and implementing what is shown within his video?

2. BattleAngelAlita

BattleAngelAlita

in 2020 you can still use Standard rendering(aka build-in).

Codelyy likes this.
  3. Codelyy

Codelyy

You're right... I have just discovered (Of course after posting this question) that it works. Swear I tried it before and it didn't work. Is it advised to use the build-in rendering or should I try switching to URP? I've heard Unity is trying to make it the new standard so that's why I'm curious

The same as with fricking Shader Graph which apparently IS in 2020.1.3f1. I SWEAR it wasn't there when I looked for it :mad:

4. bgolus

bgolus

Well, it's not unless you import it into the project. Or more specifically, use Package Manager to add either the URP or HDRP to an existing project or create a new project from Unity Hub using one. Shader Graph doesn't work with the built in rendering paths.

Codelyy likes this.