Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Is lightmapping done on CPU or GPU?

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by GfK, Jan 31, 2015.

1. GfK

GfK

I have a 4GB GTX970 graphics card.

I also have a quadcore Intel i5-2400 CPU (socket 1155 - it's quite old now) @ 3.1GHz.

Which is lightmapping calculated on? I've noticed (even in Unity 4.6) that lightmapping is unbearably slow, so would a high-end i7 help the situation? This'd obviously mean a new motherboard too as socket 1155 is virtually obsolete.

2. Tapgames

Tapgames

It's done on the cpu. So a faster cpu will results in quicker lightmap baking. Don't expect miracles.
    But if unity will support Enlighten Cuda baking it will be crazy fast.

3. AustinRichards

AustinRichards

That's something they should look into....

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

That is the plan, looking into it after launch. 5.0 is about things working :)

5. AustinRichards

AustinRichards

Awesome!!!! Can't wait.

6. DFT-Games

DFT-Games

If this is true then Unity 5 can't be used for quite a long time because current baking takes an average of 4 days on a i7 with 64GB RAM... if Unity doesn't fix this as a topmost priority we move the current project to UE4.

Edit: The same scene setup on UE4 is fully baked in less than 1 hour :(

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Well short of reporting that scene as a bug, I don't see what can help. Have you tried clearing cache? Do you use terrain? If terrain, you need to set a lightmap properties to it which is set to very low.

8. AustinRichards

AustinRichards

That definitely is way longer than it should be. How large of a scene is this?

9. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

still waiting for GPU calculation cause even on the i7 it takes ages to do baking...

10. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

We have some issues that have been fixed in the clustering stage that is causing this. They are much improved in b22.

Final gather currently still has some crashbug issues that we are working on and will get into a build as soon as we fixed it.

11. kite3h

kite3h

My scene also be down during indirect calculation . Is this Final Gather Problem?