Search Unity

Is it worth supporting OpenGL ES 2.0 in 2018?

Discussion in 'Android' started by SiriusT987, Jul 15, 2018.

1. SiriusT987

SiriusT987

I was thinking about this the last couple of days. I'm working on a 3D racing game and I'm don't want that stylized look.
    OpenGL ES 2.0 only supports gamma color space, but linear looks so much better and the entry level phones, the ones that cost about $100-125, they all have GLES 3.0 support. Not to mention anything above that.
    I don't know how much better or worse GLES 2.0 performs, but in my opinion performance means nothing if the game looks like crap.

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

3. JohnnyFactor

JohnnyFactor

Those distribution numbers are misleading. They represent all Android devices, even the simplest 'used for txting only' devices. When UT used to publish stats for Unity games, the percentages were considerably different than what Google was publishing at the time. Also, that 35.2% stat has gone to 21.6% in less than five months.

I'm bringing this up because I'm also considering dropping support for OpenGL ES 2.0. I suspect that 2.0 devices-- that are actually used for playing games-- are approaching insignificance.

4. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

With an color grading (specially gamma correction) image effect, you can have almost the same result on gamma color space with higher performance