Search Unity

Is it still possible/recommended to copy translation values back to GameObject?

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by Reshima, May 30, 2019.

1. Reshima

Reshima

I've played with ECS before and at that time I remember there was a Pure vs Hybrid approach. I see now in the docs that there's no mention to hybrid anymore (probably to avoid the confusion it was creating?). I tried to find any announcements about it and I couldn't find.

My question is: can I still copy the translation values from entity back to gameobject?

Here's my setup:

- GameObjectA with
    ConvertToEntity
    set to "Convert and Inject Game Object".
    - GameObjectA with
    MoveSpeedAuthoring
    which is the monobehavior that implements
    IConvertGameObjectToEntity
    to convert game object value to entity value.
    -
    MovementSystem
    which just sets a new translation value based on the movespeed and delta time.

Everything works from entity side, except I want to update the game object values to match the entity translation value. How can I do it?

I remember there was a
    Copy Transform to GameObject
    script but since I don't see those in the docs anymore I'm assuming it's being deprecated (it also complains if used with
    Convert to Entity
    )

So how can I keep my code hybrid for now but using ECS under the hood? (Reason is: I still want to use the old physics system as I want to wait for the new one to mature in performance, and I'm doing a 2D game which sprite renderer is not a first-class citizen yet for the hybrid renderer).

2. Srokaaa

Srokaaa

Treat yourself :)

Code (CSharp):
    2. public class CopyTransformToGameObjectComponent: MonoBehaviour, IConvertGameObjectToEntity
    3.     {
    4.         public void Convert(Entity entity, EntityManager dstManager, GameObjectConversionSystem conversionSystem)
    5.         {
    6.             dstManager.AddComponent(entity, typeof(CopyTransformToGameObject));
    7.         }
    8.     }

nantoaqui and Reshima like this.
  3. Reshima

Reshima

Great! Thanks a lot!