Search Unity

Is it safe to use the LWRP for production yet?

Discussion in '2D' started by Zephus, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Zephus

Zephus

There are all these new features I want to try out (Shader Graph, 2D Lights), but I still don't get if LWRP is production-ready or not. Unity is obviously pushing it very hard, but I've heard other people say it's pretty buggy and shouldn't used for a real game yet.

So are 2D Lights and Shader Graph basically useless right now since the LWRP is not meant for production yet?

2. spryx

spryx

LWRP is at a state that is usable for production. So is Shader Graph with a caveat. The 2D renderer is in an experimental state.

If your intent is to use 2d lights and the new SG nodes: (Un)/Lit Sprite Graph, you may want to wait until at least a preview state. From my experience, it can be frustrating chasing down bugs in the experimental packages.

That said, my current project sounds a bit similar, but I have no 2d or 3d lights. The LWRP works well, and HDR also works. Full disclosure, I use Amplify Shader Editor currently for sprite shaders. I plan on switching when the package goes to preview state (provided everything works with the new 2d renderer).

Capture.PNG

3. Skelly1983

Skelly1983

As @spryx stated LWRP is usable for production, although its namespace will soon change, with the renaming to Universal Render Pipeline. As stated in the following post the upgrade process should be fairly simple but may require some minor intervention.

Lightweight Render Pipeline is Evolving!