Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Is it Possible? Windows AR app creation in Unity and webcam testing without Vuforia or similar SDK.

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by RobEdwards, Aug 27, 2020.

1. RobEdwards

RobEdwards

Hi, I'm wondering if it is possible to use Unity to create an AR app for use on the Windows platform that can be tested for operation using a plugin USB webcam without the use of Vuforia or other similar SDKs.

Is it possible for this to be done with MRTK alone?

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated :)

PS Sorry if this is a question that has come up before(I have tried searching for previous questions but not had any real luck).

2. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

Ultimately the webcam gives you a texture/image...and that texture can be processed to extract information/data with something like OpenCV.

RobEdwards likes this.
  3. RobEdwards

RobEdwards

Thank you for your reply, I'll start looking into it, hopefully it's not too heavy going as I am still fairly new to Unity and it's bolt-on's :D

4. neginfinity

neginfinity

You can do that using OpenCV. Using OpenCV in unity requires a bridge similar to OpenCVSharp, which may need a couple of tweaks to make it work with Unity.

This will be less convenient than Vuforia, and requires greater familiarity with programming in general. But yes, it can be done.

5. RobEdwards

RobEdwards

Thank you very much for your reply neginfinity I'm starting to look into OpenCV and OpenCVSharp with Unity. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my basic use requirement will be possible without too much in depth coding knowledge. Cheers.

6. RobEdwards

RobEdwards

Just to be clear: Are we saying that the MRTK toolkit does NOT have any computer vision capabilities for webcam use of it's own.

I'm currently having some success with 'OpenCV plus Unity' combined with Aruco for marker detection within Unity but I'm finding it slow progress.

Thanks again for all your help :)