Search Unity

Is it possible to use text as particles in 2D?

Discussion in '2D' started by Raven_Gothchild, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Raven_Gothchild

Raven_Gothchild

In my game I'd like to have changes to the score highlighted by a burst of particles of the value added to the total score but I have no idea how to do this, any help would be much appreciated.

2. Mikenseer

Mikenseer

I'd be interested in this answer as well.

My first thought is to have textures made for each score possible, and using those textures in your particle systems.
    But that would either limit the different possible scores, or create a need for many many particle systems.

3. Raven_Gothchild

Raven_Gothchild

Yeah, that kinda went through my head too but its a little android game so I was wondering if there might be a way to render text to a texture and then pass that to the particle system or use a text game object as a particle.

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Disclaimer: Me = No code knowledge

Very simplistic idea -
    Particles use sprite atlases.
    Create a sprite atlas with numbers 0-9.
    Can a part of the atlas be "labeled"? - for instance the number 1 is the second sprite on the sprite atlas, the area where the number 1 is located on the atlas is labeled #one. Number 2 is the third sprite - this area on the atlas is labeled #three.
    In code (I don't know how) control the numbers that are displayed when the particle system is played by the labels from the sprite atlas.

Probably an odd idea? but may generate another idea by throwing it out. :/

vakabaka likes this.