Search Unity

Is it possible to use musics from a Deezer-like website ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Berenger, Jan 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Berenger

Berenger

Hey guys.
    I would like to do a blindtest game, where a music is played for a short time and you have to guess the title and everything. So obviously, you need an extralarge pannel of musics. Would it be possible to use musics from a website, legally of course, such as Deezer ? Is there any such website with license free songs ? Or do you guys see another way ?

2. Meltdown

Meltdown

When it comes to using other people's assets, always err on the side of caution and get written permission to do do.
    In this case you are asking to put copyrighted music into your game. The music does not belong to you, it belongs to the record companies or individual artists. You will need their permission to use it in your game.

Also don't ask for legal advice on a game development forum. Ask a lawyer.

3. Stefano_1990

Stefano_1990

I think your concept is a bit flawed. If you use license free music it is most likely not from anybody well known. And how could you guess a song that you have never heard?

Also using Deezer is most likely not a good idea and I would have a look at their terms and conditions.

So in the long run you are probably not going to be successful. The reason a game like this has not been done is probably because negotiations with labels would be challenging.

PS: What you want to do has been done on the iPod. At least it used to be one of the preinstalled games on the iPod.

4. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

if you could make it use the music from the ipod/iphone/ipad then you are not responsible for copyright :D

5. FMark92

FMark92

Nice necro bro.
    You know what we do to criminal necromancers around here?

Joe-Censored likes this.
  6. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

Yeah... I've gone and deleted that - please refrain from resurrecting 7+ year old threads and then posting to a site which condones illegal ripping from legitimate sources.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.