Search Unity

Is it possible to use more than one Event Manager for Unity Event?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by ClaudiaKrog, Aug 31, 2020.

1. ClaudiaKrog

ClaudiaKrog

Hello,

I am using Unity events to call specific actions based on which object is selected. I have 5 objects that can be selected - each one has an OVRGrabbable script on it, in which I am putting the event (which is called when the object is grabbed). When the object is grabbed, a different event happens in the environment.

Is it possible to essentially have 5 eventmanager scripts (the OVRGrabbable script on the 5 objects), which calls an event, and executes something different based on which object the event is called within.

Is it possible to pass the current gameobject in the event as well?

I am wondering if there is a better way to do this

2. lordofduct

lordofduct

I'm not sure why you'd need multiple Event Manager's for this.

You have distinct OVRGrabbable components on each of the 5 things. So each can have a distinct event on them (what sort of event are you using? UnityEvent, C# Event, what?). So you should be able to just handle each one individually.

So if say you use UnityEvent on your OVRGrabbable, for each of the 5 things, have their distinct UnityEvent target a distinct target.

Also if you want to include the sender along with it, then create a UnityEvent<TypeOfSender> instead using the UnityEvent<T> type, and pass it along when you invoke it:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Events.UnityEvent_1.html

If you could, share your code to help us better understand your current implementation.

3. ClaudiaKrog

ClaudiaKrog

I actually have the same OVRGrabbable script on each of the objects (one script - this is from Oculus for VR development). I think the problem is that there are 5 distinct objects, but only one script which will send a general "grabbed" event. But, there will be 5 different actions that happen based on which object is sending the event

4. Antistone

Antistone

A C# class is like a template for creating objects following a particular pattern, and the individual objects created are called instances of that class. If you attach the same script to 5 different Unity GameObjects, they're all the same class, but they're separate instances, which means they can have unique data stored in each one (including a reference to which object they're attached to).

If you want to treat events differently depending on which of the 5 objects emitted them, then those events should have some kind of parameter that identifies the source. This could be a reference to the actual component or gameobject, or some kind of identifying name or code.

5. ClaudiaKrog

ClaudiaKrog

Yes, thank you, that all makes sense. I am wondering how exactly I could pass the grabbed object in the Unity Event using a parameter

6. lordofduct

lordofduct

I already linked to how you can send parameters along with the UnityEvent. You would create a UnityEvent that inherits from UnityEvent<T>, where T is the type of the object you're going to be passing a reference to. Then when you call invoke, you just pass a ref to that object. Basically how the example in the link works, but instead of <int>, you're going to be <MyScriptType>.

Furthermore, this is likely not necessary. Even though it's all the same script/class, each instance is distinct/unique. Which is what Antistone is trying to say to you. So each object that has your OVRGrabbable script on it with a UnityEvent. You just configure it to target the specific target you want. Each instance targeting a different target.

As I stated before, we can better assist you if you share your code.