Search Unity

Is it possible to use Light Cookies to "block" point light in a direction?

Discussion in '2D' started by jospor, Dec 22, 2013.

1. jospor

jospor

As the title says, is it possible? I don't know much about lights and everything that goes along with it.
    I want to block my point light from illuminating towards a certain direction as if there were a wall there.

2. unitylover

unitylover

Would putting a wall in the way not accomplish that? No sarcasm intended. I might not understand what you're trying to do.

3. jospor

jospor

I am sorry for any confusing in my previous description of my problem. I made a image in order to make it easier to understand my problem.
    http://imgur.com/LxoTCxu

4. zerotri3

zerotri3

I don't believe there is an easy way to achieve this using Unity's built-in lighting system in a sprite based game. I am working on an extension that I plan to throw into the asset store that would be able to handle what you are trying to do but as I do not know if/when it will ever be finished (due to algorithmic issues) I would suggest taking a look at Reverie Interactive's 2D Volumetric Lights, which seems to be fairly well supported and has been optimized to reduce the cost of adding dynamic lighting to your 2D game. At $15 it is quite a steal.