Search Unity

Question Is it possible to use Addressables with Integrated Scene Management?

Discussion in 'Netcode for GameObjects' started by Valerion, Mar 7, 2023.

1. Valerion

Valerion

Hey,

I have a project that's using NGO and it's really great to work with so far. However, I encountered the following problem (either in my understanding or it's really a limitation):
    • I have multiple level scenes that are designed in the editor (and contain terrain, some prefabs, etc.)
    • I want to load dynamic stuff. Since Resources.Load is not recommended anymore, I would like to use Addressables.
    • I added some prefabs to Addressables and found out that this leads to duplicated assets when using "regular scenes" in the build (e.g. shaders are in addressables and in the scene as well)
    • Then, I tried to move all scenes to Addressables as well which worked as well - until I wanted to load the scene using the NetworkSceneManager. Because you can only load the scene by name, which uses the "old" (?) scene loading system, not addressables.
    Therefore, my question is: Is there a way to use Addressable Scenes without having to write my own Scene Management? (which is something I would like to avoid if possible)
    Or, other question: What is the intended way to use Addressables together with NGO? (or more broadly: how should I dynamically instantiate prefabs that share some properties - e.g. shaders - with objects in the scene, using NGO)

hyunwookimbob likes this.
  2. RikuTheFuffs-U

RikuTheFuffs-U

Unity Technologies

3. Laumania

Laumania

I'm facing the same problem as Valerion of not being able to load "dynamic scenes". I'm using UMod to load them, Valerion uses Addressables...however I would assume the issue is the same - they are not in the buildindex, so NetCode dont' work.

The sample you link to doesn't show any sample of loading a scene that is not in the buildindex as far as I can see?

I still haven't found any good guide to do more advanced stuff like this. What I can see, amoung other things is that you need to disable "Enable Scene Management" on the NetworkManager... but then in-scene networkobject doesn't event work anymore.

Anyway, any guide/sample of loading scenes that is NOT in buildindex, I think would be really nice to have.

sampenguin likes this.
  4. ViViKo_W

ViViKo_W

Does anyone have solutions to this problem?

5. RikuTheFuffs-U

RikuTheFuffs-U

Unity Technologies

Not a solution, but I flagged this need internally and asked the team for guidance. I'll keep you posted!

sampenguin likes this.
  6. Proxy42-it

Proxy42-it

A ping as this is extremely important for liveops/devops. Netcode is great, addressables are great, but can't easily add new multiplayer levels/arenas without republishing the wholegame.

sampenguin likes this.
  7. sampenguin

sampenguin

Seconding the above... I've hit a huge roadblock here. This is a critical need for any networked game that will continue to add content post release. How are NGO and Addressables not integrated already??

NatureRaph likes this.
  8. makcimbx

makcimbx

With a little extra writing in the Package, I was able to make the addressable scenes work, but only the scenes that were already in build, which is basically what I needed. I hope Unity Team release an update as soon as possible, because it's really hard without it.

9. NatureRaph

NatureRaph

So is there a way to do that? I mean like Addressables is especially for bigger game a must do.

10. NatureRaph

NatureRaph

Did you find a solution for that?

11. Laumania

Laumania

I have created this issue on the NGO Github page and have gotten some input and are in dialog with Unity via that.

However, I have only tried the suggested solution briefly as I'm deep into some other part of the game right now. But I have to make dynamic scenes and inscene networkobjects to work, so I will get back to this in the not to far future.

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/com.unity.multiplayer.docs/issues/1053

12. NatureRaph

NatureRaph

Ok thank you very much, I´ll have a look into that, I think it´s a bit sad that the downloadable Package doesn´t include Addessable Support at all

13. Valerion

Valerion

No, I just ignored the duplication problem (at least for now), and have the shaders duplicated: once in the Addressable and once in the integrated scene. I hope that it may be possible to just load an addressable scene in the future, but my project is far away from release anyway (and it "works" for now, even if it's suboptimal), so I didn't spend much time trying to find a workaround yet.

NatureRaph likes this.
  14. hyunwookimbob

hyunwookimbob

Is there a solution or workaround available for the current issue, or do I need to temporarily avoid using Addressables for managing scenes?

15. DW79

DW79

Bumping this thread.

16. manchinolik

manchinolik

17. P0rwen

P0rwen

This is very important for us. Hoping Unity can intergrate scene management solution for NGO and Addressables ASAP.

d2king10 likes this.
  18. ViViKo_W

ViViKo_W

For users with this problem in NGO 1.8.1 was presented some userful functions. Now we can write our SceneManager using addressables or something else and networked prefabs from NetworkPrefabsList will work correctly, so replacing all of in-scene-placed objects on simillar prefabs should work.