Search Unity

Resolved Is it possible to turn off or not display desktop mirror with SteamVR?

Discussion in 'VR' started by frangagn, Jun 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frangagn

frangagn

After building my app, I always see a full screen mirror on my PC of what my headset displays. Is this essential? Any way to turn it off? I believe I've looked at every possible switch both on Unity and SteamVR....

Thanks for any help!

2. frangagn

frangagn

Is it not possible at all? Or am I the only one caring for this?

3. frangagn

frangagn

Is this question in the right category? Please let me know.

4. frangagn

frangagn

It would be really useful if someone could tell me if this is a stupid question. ...

5. astracat111

astracat111

You want to turn off your PC from displaying what your headset is displaying when testing? Is it really necessary?

6. frangagn

frangagn

Sorry, no, not when testing. When I compile the finished application and run it, this is where I get a full screen display of what my headset displays. This is what I want to prevent. The same way as with the MS Mixed Reality Portal there is a "play" button at the bottom of the window allowing to enable/disable mirroring on the PC.

Thanks for your reply! I can't find anything on this anywhere!

7. dvalles

dvalles

I feel your pain frangagn. I too would like this turned off

8. Corysia

Corysia

Short answer: No

Longer answer: This isn't a Unity setting. This is tied to your headset's manufacturer (as far as I can tell). I've read reddit and searched other forums and no one has found a way to turn this off. It doesn't cost anything CPU or GPU-wise as it's rendering the Left eye camera, usually.

In addition, not displaying the window and having app focus will often prevent other applications such as Voice Attack and a HOTAS from sending events to the correct window.

9. darmova

darmova

Is it true, that it doesn't cost anything? Rendering I get, it is rendering the left-eye camera anyway, but showing? Doesn't it cost GPU to show the same image on two displays more than it costs to show just one? Also, it is much better to show the steam VR/Mixed reality portal preview instead of the unity window because that will make you see exactly what your player is seeing (for instance, did he accidentally press the home button, or is he still playing your game kind of thing...) I think the disable feature would be quite useful IMHO.

10. Timeswitch

Timeswitch

It basically just blits one of the eye-buffers to the game window. It is a very cheap operation, but i'm wondering as well, if this can be disabled somehow.

11. frangagn

frangagn

I've found a work around. In the Player Setting, under Resolution, I set it to Windowed application and resolution 2x2. Compiled version creates a tiny icon on the screen with a X to exit, and that's it. Quite akward, but it works....

12. unity_9GrkBK6e9MmiSg

unity_9GrkBK6e9MmiSg

Some time you don't want the whole room around you to see what you see, confidentiality or other purposes...

13. mfuad

mfuad

Unity Technologies

Hi, you'll need to relay this question/request to the headset manufacturer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.