Search Unity

Is it possible to simplify models from Kitbash3d to be suitable for mobile?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by madfu, Aug 17, 2020.

1. madfu

madfu

hi.

although this isn't my first post in the forums, i'm mostly a lurker, who enjoys everyone's helpful info. i'm stumped by this question, and thanks to everyone in advance to taking a look at my query.

for context, i'm a coder and writer working on an ambitious mobile game and i'd like some advice on using the prefab models from https://kitbash3d.com/. their stuff is on sale in the asset store and i was blown away by the level of craftsmanship they have put into their models. it's clear these folks know how to make beautiful stuff, and i'd like to find a way to put their work into my game. if you haven't seen it, you should have a gander here: https://assetstore.unity.com/?q=kitbash3d&orderBy=1

before you say it, i know this is a ridiculous request, but i'd like to explore it anyway.

i've done the work to convert their free sample from the built-in render pipeline to URP, and taken the step to test a scene with our mobile controller and runtime asset management code. it was clear from the tests that without a lot of simplification of the models and reduction of the size of the textures, this was a no-go. so i'd like to get a few opinions about how best to proceed. i figure i have the following options:
    1. forget about it and find some mobile-ready assets that could look just as good;
    2. hire someone to simplify the models and reduce the size of the textures and hope for an outcome that comes close to the originals; or
    3. learn to do the model reductions myself, and put in the time to get what it is i want.
    maybe there's another option, but i'm not seeing it.

in my heart, i think i've eliminated #1, 'cause i've been looking for the last 18 months, and only now have i found something i felt i could really get excited about (kitbash). if #2 makes sense (can you even hire people to do this?), how do i go about finding someone with the right skills who can do the work reasonably quickly for a reasonable rate? if #3 makes more sense, should i attempt to do this kind of work in Blender or some other tool, and where can i find training for this kind of task?

any input would be appreciated.

thx.

2. arvindchetu

arvindchetu

Hi, Forget about it and find some mobile-ready assets that could look just as good;
    • If you are targeting mobile devices for your application, I will not recommend you to use these AAA quality heavy assets. It would be great if you can find another light weighted asset similar to do this.
    • Hire someone to simplify the models and reduce the size of the textures and hope for an outcome that comes close to the originals; It depends on the model meshes that you have, if it is well designed specially by considering low and high poly both, then 3D modeler can easily optimize these heavy assets may be within a week. Otherwise, not recommended to attempt complex modification.
    • Learn to do the model reductions myself, and put in the time to get what it is i want.
    • If you have intermediate skills in 3D modeling in Maya or Max, Blender, Photoshop, Substance painter than only dive into this to achieve this output, otherwise #1 & #2 option will be good for you.
    I hope this will help you out to understand which approach you need to follow.